SAU Community

gtr engine

Ok

so i bought me a 2nd skyline a 96 GTS now compared to my 95 gtst its nothing rite now...but i plan to put a full house gtr engine in there, anyone thats done this? i need an estimate of how much i gotta spend i know the front cut should set me back around 7500 but is it really the best way to go? or should i get a half cut for like 5500 and save 2grand for other stuff? but my real interest is after lets say i get the full front cut which will include everything i need except injectors , fuel pump and a new clutch how much would it cost to get sum1 to setup my new gtr engine?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too much!

you will also need bigger brakes, drivetrain, the stuff you mentioned above and more.

The pricing will vary quite considerably - as to whether or not you can do some of the

work yourself, know a good mate who can, or get someone professional to do it, also

how cheaply you can source the parts for.

Its a pretty big project, and I can see alot of headaches comin your way.

But, quite a few people have done it - and there is one guy in queensland who has

an R32 gtst with an RB26DETT in it. His SAU nickname is japtaxi - and this is his site

http://www.projectskyline.tk/

hope that helps - and keep us posted.

hehe money is no problem rite now, i know a mate whos dads a mechanic so i think i can get it a bit cheaper coz nothings free lol i dont mind headaches but im working on the ultimate sleeper :( i want people to be scared of this GTS, if all else fails i cud sell the car and just go back to upgrading my gtst and use all the money to transform that into a beast with a huge single

thanks for the link :)

will keep u all posted

WELL YOU CAN TAKE CAPS LOCK OFF FIRST, SO WE DONT HAVE A HARD TIME HEARING YOU

OVER THE SHOUTING!!! and not hi-jack other people's threads.

That said, you can either stroke it, change cams, extractors, shot of nos, advance timing, strip

out the interior of your car, engine conversion (check V8 thread).

There's no real point in doing too much to the NA engines, and keeping it NA - the price you

pay for measly power gains is simply not worth it, but if you still insist then the above are

a few ideas.

OI this was about my engine lol i dont want a gtst mate i already have one (gtst and gts), i dun want another one, even with an rb30 bottom end lol i bought a gts so i can spend my spare time doing it up properly and see wat happens wen u seriously work a car, but yeah my two options are rb26dett or a big turbo conversion, which one ends up cheaper i wudnt know LOL im looking for big power for the ultimate sleeper no one suspects the gts ^_^

well keep the car you have and use the na 25 head on a rb30 bottom end, its the best option and will work out the cheapest and most near facory in feel, function, and ease of conversion, even if you get a rb30 then buy a rb26 head assemble it all out the car then drop it in cause no matter which way you go you will need a computer and serious rewiring for things like mafs or maps an co2 sensors ect, that will still be cheaper than a sh.tty rb26 front cut loom and computer. Personally the gts isnt a very good base to start making a seriously "worked" car out of....

hmm like the s15 with rb30 bottom end that makes 850kw , i see, how much am i looking at for the rb30 bottom end, nahh man im trying to make the ultimate sleeper, think abt it , no one suspects a GTS lol who wudnt wanna run a gts only to find out that it aint actually a GTS lol :(

A friend of mine asked the guys at one of the workshops where i live about this coz the thought of a Tt engine instead of the standard rb25det sounds like a great improvement. But if you consider the initial purchase of a half cut, 7500 for a R32 GTR one is a good ball park figure. Then include cost of installation, (keeping in mind that Nissan dont want an easy swap, this engine was intended for the pride of the line up, the GTR) your looking at another 5k minimum, and at the end off all that what do you end up with.....a standard RB26 with the standard power output of 206kw (perhaps a bit more if you went and removed the boost restrictor etc).

So lets say you have spent 13k along this journey.......13k goes along way towards getting more power out of the exsisting RB25Det.

The guys at the work shop reckon close to double with out to much fuss....

Just my 2cents.

the RB26DETT has a far higher tuning and modification potential than the RB25DET...

that said - doing an rb26 conversion will get you only RWD...unless u have a GTS4 R33

and do some extensive custom stuff.

i derno its a project car, i already got a 95gtst so im pondering wat to do with this one, something different might try a turbo conversion and then move onto strengthening internals and wat not

Then you got two GTST's, whats the point, go left of the middle, like the V8 conversion by NA_R33, then go one step more and charge it, or some other non skyline engine like the cedrics VQ30DETT, there was a silvia in canberra with this done, pulling a nice healthy 300+kw @wheels, nice light all alloy engine, was for sale not long ago, may still be. The owner is a major member on the NS forums. The VQ30's out of the Cedric are reasonably priced for the half cut to. As are the v8 halfcuts.

I cant understand y u want to do this, the gts and gtst look exactly the same bar blue gt badges and smaller brakes, why start with a weaker gearbox and diff and engine, y not get a gtst and work that?? it will work out much cheaper.

Well yeah, that is the main reason i aint bothing with my car.....

If i was to though, i would upgrade everything above the standard turbo model specs(ie: GTR brake upgrade rather than standard m spec 4 spots, Cusco 2way diff etc etc) then it would be valid, Esp if you are planning to go all out and get real serious power, as for converting A GTS to 4wd via gtr half cut.....25k gets you a R32GTR........

just thinking about the headaches it would bring during the conversion would gives me a headache......

er, notice how i said i had 2 skylines, i already have a gtst (series 1) which pulls 200kw at the wheels rite now , only wit intercooler, 0.7bar boost, turbo back exhaust, and apexi power fc dyno tuned :) and ofcourse a pod filter :D

so i was bored and went out to buy a project car a series 2 gts late 96 model rite now i got about 4.8 grand saved up and im planning on stuff to do for a good sleeper like either gtr engine, and some of the stuff u guys have suggested is good shit too, v8 engine i wudnt mind either, my goal is 11s for this car, then i'll go back to upgrading my gtst and give the gts to my lil brother

It's alot easier with a complete front cut as there are a million little differences in the wiring, also the brakes and other sundry parts would make it alot better in the end.

As far as tuning potential, if you look at examples that use the standard bottom end they end up with similar amounts of power... Meshmesh + his R33 GT-R made 320kw w/2530'sm Bu5ter's R33 GTS-t made 330kw with a Trust TD06-25G kit. Don't be misled into thinking the engines are vastly different...

I put an RB26 into my GTS, with the wiring loom/computer it was a pretty straight forward swap. If you can use a workshop's facilities with assistance from a mechanic it will be very easy... but you might be dissappointed in the end result.