SAU Community

The 2005 GT-R Concept

Rezz

2005 GT-R Concept

After 3 solid years of speculation, CG concepts by Nissan design teams – not to mention the plethora of CG images produced by Nissan fans - we will get the final word from Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn regarding the Next GT-R. The 39th Tokyo Motor Show (Oct 19 – Nov 6, 2005) will be the venue where all the speculation and rumors stop when the 2005 GT-R Concept vehicle is uncovered.

Without a doubt the main feature at the 39th Tokyo Motor Show will be the Next GT-R. No other single vehicle has caused as much hype amongst the international Nissan fan base as this car. Nissan have been watching the international reaction to various rumors, spy photos, concept drawings and the like, and will take it upon themselves to officially state the Next GT-R’s design, new components and capabilities, aim of the car, and price. Nissan may even answer the question that’s confused a number of enthusiasts up until now: the chassis designation. Whether it’s UA-CPV35 GT-R, or due to the ’07 release date, UA-CPV36 GT-R, or another chassis code altogether, Nissan will need to explain why, if the GT-R is to drop it’s connection with the Skyline, would they need to incorporate the Skyline’s traditional four round tail lights.

Sources in Japan have already scooped the Next GT-R’s FR transaxle, twin motor-assisted turbos and ‘e-4WD’ – drive to the front wheels provided by electric motors powered by Lithium batteries. All these mechanisms are unique to the Next GT-R and will lead the way for other car manufacturers to make use of such technological advances in their own vehicle line-ups. One hotly contested feature of the Next GT-R is it’s rumored engine, the VQ32DETT. International speculation has sprouted all sorts of configurations: N/A and turbo V8’s, large capacity V6’s, even rebirth of the legendary RB26DETT. But no other engine configuration has been quoted more times in Japan than the 3.2 liter V6 twin turbo.

The rumored VQ32DETT engine has been developed in conjunction with Cosworth (UK) and the basic design of the V6 twin turbo – in 3.0 liter guise - has seen two full seasons already in the Japanese JGTC (Japan GT Championship) racing series, which VQ powered cars have won consecutively in the last two years. The rigors of JGTC racing and advances in turbo design should put to rest any doubts about a twin turbo V6 configuration not being able to withstand the treatment expected from a US market not familiar with a top level performance turbo offering from Nissan. The concern over how the US market would receive a medium capacity V6 turbo powered GT car from Nissan has brought forth all kinds of rumored engine configurations, none of which have had any mention within the Japanese media for at least two years. It seems practically all the rumors regarding engines other than the VQ32DETT have originated from the very market that is concerned about the reliability of a turbo V6 powered GT car from Nissan (or in the North American market, Infiniti) as opposed to the supposedly better reliability a larger capacity naturally aspirated engine of similar output could offer.

Much importance has been placed on the effective use of underbody aerodynamics, as well as keeping a clean, muscular shape devoid of any large spoilers which were such a signature of the superseded R34 Skyline GT-R. 20-inch alloy wheels and a mix of carbon fiber (bonnet, seat frames, drive shafts, rear diffusers) and aluminum (roof, door panels, rear tailgate) will also feature on a car that is every bit as exotic as it is technologically advanced. The disappointment felt by Japanese Nissan enthusiasts about the controversial tail lights of the V35 Skyline Sedan upon it’s release back in 2001 – no trademark circular lights or ‘hotplates’ – has seen Nissan make a complete about face… even releasing the V35 Skyline Sedan Series II with circular LED arrays to try and convince the Japanese domestic market that they haven’t forsaken the Skyline heritage. What this means is that despite the multitude of CG images gracing the internet and magazines all sporting slightly weak attempts at ‘hotplate’ tail light designs, the Next GT-R will definitely include the four round tail lights that have become the defining feature of the GT-R since the early 1970’s… even though Carlos Ghosn has hinted that the Next GT-R won’t be associated with the Skyline range anymore.

The motto of the Next GT-R that has been thrown around more than a few times amongst the Japanese media is ‘More Super-Sports than you can imagine’. You can be sure that Nissan won’t disappoint this time around, as so many Nissan enthusiasts in Japan have expressed their disapproval of the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show Concept GT-R. Look for more details to come to light as October approaches straight from Japan… so it certainly will be an exciting year for GT-R enthusiasts the world over. Expect to see the Next GT-R released in December 2007.

Rezz

I had found out it was going to be at TMS two weeks ago, so its quite recent. I posted about this a week ago at gtrcanada.com so some of you might have seen this coming already. :D

I had this typed up and ready to go in January's edition of www.7tune.com but held back... then the owner of www.jdmstyletuning.com wanted some info on the next GT-R so I let it out of the bag. I've had it for going on 4 weeks :D

But anyways... are you saying that you beat me to it?

I'm glad they're (apparently) listening to peoples reactions on the concepts so far. With the 4 lights at the back sorted (apparently, but it could still end up looking bad), all we need to hope for now is a meaner looking front! I still dont expect it will change much from the latest pics though.

Thanks Rezz

Yes, hehe. I posted this at gtrcanada.com a few days before. I didn't know it, but I was planning to tell you guys sooner than the 3 weeks, but I did so a week ago at gtrcanada.com lol. I knew something was going to happen at TMS anyways long before, just didnt know what would happen.

Yes, hehe. I posted this at gtrcanada.com a few days before. I didn't know it, but I was planning to tell you guys sooner than the 3 weeks, but I did so a week ago at gtrcanada.com lol. I knew something was going to happen at TMS anyways long before, just didnt know what would happen.

Errrmmm... I'm not about to get into a war here over the next GT-R stuff... but basically you came out of nowhere and now you think you're scooping everybody? Sorry bud, but I think thats a bit lame.

So you're saying you posted your article up on gtrCanada.com but you've had it for 3 weeks already??? So why'd you hold back? You got some contractural agreement or something? lol... Shan (Funkymonkey) can tell you why I held back.

The day you tell me something I don't know about the next GT-R I'll promptly pack my bags and leave Japan the next day.

na rezz. you got it all wrong, im not looking at delivering scoops b4 you, na man. I give you cred b4 anyone else. in fact, your the one that made me do more research, dedicate more time to finding out info. see here:

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=2044

reason i didnt post it, is because im quite busy now. i got uni and work, plus i did that article my self. but see this other article:

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=2037

shows my respect for you man. you been giving me harshness for awhile when ive been saying nothing but good about you to people at my boards.

na rezz. you got it all wrong, im not looking at delivering scoops b4 you, na man. I give you cred b4 anyone else. in fact, your the one that made me do more research, dedicate more time to finding out info. see here:

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=2044

reason i didnt post it, is because im quite busy now. i got uni and work, plus i did that article my self. but see this other article:

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=2037

shows my respect for you man. you been giving me harshness for awhile when ive been saying nothing but good about you to people at my boards.

Wow. I'm honestly speechless. Please (I'm serious) accept my full apology. I truly thought you were out to 'get me' so to speak...

Yeah rezz we want videos and shiznit from the auto show....

mani can't wait.... o just hope they don't dissapoint... sounds great perfromance wise but with ghosn there looks wise it makes me nervous.... please look aggresive and not like a euro trash car :-(

Awesome Rezz, keep it coming..

We are like hungry sharks begging for something to chew on .. :cheers:

( i guess certain australian magazines know this... )

Your journalism is awesome, get yourself a handy cam and start filming documentaries on the japanese drifto scene and your onto a winner :D