SAU Community

Goin To Runs Need Advice!!

KRiMiNaL

Okay im gona go down the strip tonight for the first time. Normally when i launch my car i ride my clutch and slowly roll forward then release. Will this give me a faulse start?? Should i have the handbrake up then release it doing this method or should i jst drop the clutch even though i normally dnt do this way off launching my car.

Should i do a little burn out before i race to will this give me more traction? and should i jst drop the clutch.

Thirdly, what do i need to take helmet etc, and any other points i should consider???

You need helmet, rego papers, long sleeve pants/top and $45.

If you roll out of the staging beams before the green light, then yes you'll false start, but you'll still get an ET, so it's not really a huge mistake to make. The start area is flat, so you don't need your handbrake if you've got your clutch engaged - just drop the clutch on the last yellow light and you should get a good reaction time. To what degree you feather the clutch really depends on the tyres you're running - obviously the better traction you get, the quicker you should let the clutch out. It'll take some practice...i've been a couple of times now and I still can't get it right (shitty tyres don't help though).

As for the burnout, it's not really going to make much difference traction wise if you're running street tyres...much of a muchness really.

Good luck :(

1. Enter via the competitors gate (old rear entrance for the EC Racetrack).

2. Pay at gate ($45)

3. Park in the pits somewhere and fill out the form you are given (take a pen)

4. Line up at the scrutineering garage with your rego paper, license, filled out form and your entry ticket, you will get a wrist band.

5. Drive your car around to the garage and wait inline to have your car checked over (open bonnet, open boot, check helmet).

6. Drive your car back around into 1 of the 5 lanes and wait (usually about 30-40mins per run up until about 9pm then its about every 20-25mins because people leave/breakdown.

7. When its your lanes go just follow the guy infront of you and the marshall will mark the sticker on your screen and point you to lane A or B.

8. Burnout: You don't need/want to sit and smoke your rear tyres for 3hrs every run because all you are doing is wearing them out. All I do is drop the clutch from 3000rpm, let it spin (as it rolls forward) for about 5m and then just throw it in neutral and roll up to the staging line.

9. Staging: I always like to stage first before the other car, it gives you 10-30sec to settle your nerves, get comfortable in your seat (with your helmet on for a change). On the side tarmac part of your lane you will see a white line across the track, just move forward until your front tyres are close to this line, then watch the top 2 staging lights on the tree.

10. Launch (for me): Clutch in, handbrake off, hold the revs at 3000-3500rpm. When the lights go I just take off like a normal set of lights (so basically part drop, part ride the clutch). If it starts spinning the rears just back off abit, if it bogs well just hold on for a second or 2 until your revs pickup.

11. 1/4 Mile: Nail your gears, treat the car like you hate it or just drive like normal with the throttle flat, each to their own. Don't stop until you are past the big timing towers.

12. Follow the return lane all the way back past the staging around to the garage and grab your timing slip.

13. Repeat until either 10pm or your car breaks :(

Actually... I bet wsid.com.au has this written up somewhere :)

If it's your first nite seriously... don't worry about a burnout (its not required anyway except to scrub off the water) and don't try and cut an 11sec pass. Just learn to stage correctly (without looking like a knob and staging with your rear tyres) and get across the finish line in 1 piece without leaking fluid or breaking your clutch. As you get over those bits your times will drop by themselves...

Give me a wave if you see me [MOVEIT]

Happy drag racing !!

just drop the clutch on the last yellow light and you should get a good reaction time.
I actually take-off when I see the 2nd yellow light come on, it gives me consistent 0.1-0.3sec Reaction Times (which is why I win the majority of my races unless i'm up against a Pac "race" Car).

Launching on the last (3rd) yellow light will give you a 0.8-1.0sec R/Time :(

:)

I actually take-off when I see the 2nd yellow light come on, it gives me consistent 0.1-0.3sec Reaction Times (which is why I win the majority of my races unless i'm up against a Pac "race" Car).

Launching on the last (3rd) yellow light will give you a 0.8-1.0sec R/Time :(

:)

lol, no wonder I can't get any better than a 0.2 R/T - I'll try that next time :)

I was keen to go tonight, but something's come up, so im aiming to be there again next week instead.

Good luck tonight fellas - look forward to reading about that 13 sec pass benm :)

Also, it doesn't matter how long after the green light comes on before you actually take off. Your ET is recorded from the time you cross the second staging beam until you cross the finish line. Plenty of cars sit for a while on the line getting set as they are after a time not the win. But if you really want to beat the car in the other lane, then take off on the last yellow (or second one if you have slow reflexes :() The main things is getting used to the proceedure, staging and gear changes. Have fun!

look forward to reading about that 13 sec pass benm :)
Ahh geeze no pressure or nothing right!! It's only taken me 12mths to get where I am, it could take me another 6mths to get into the 13's :(

Have fun, my first time I loved it.. I also tried launching on different RPM's as each car's setup is different you might find that you could drop on each run on the last yellow but use different RPM lauches to find the right amount of traction to wheelspin that gets your turbo and ass moving :(

good luck.. :)

I have heard some people complain about of lack of traction using street tyres, but I personally haven't had any trouble. 1.8 60 ft on my first pass with an open diff (S3 RX7 Turbo) on street tyres. Alot of it is more than likely due to street tyres and 30+ psi. Use some semi's or drag radials and you will see the sub-1.8 60ft's :( But generally, it is stickier and also helps if they have a Test and Tune on that Wednesday for a big meet the following weekend.

silver gts-t - running street tyres, in my personal experience the track does not seem as sticky as the road! But I was told that it wasn't prepared properly for that particular meet.

Changing 2nd to 3rd my car actually fishy'd abit.... thats with Exhaust, Front Mount and Boost..... 13.9 first night ever at the drags with tyres at 36psi.