SAU Community

Just a qwik hello....

SL33KGTS

Hey guys and girls....

Just thought i'd introduce myself.... My names michael and im a fellow Skyline owner in WA.. I was wondering if i could get a walk around on the latest and some clarity on a few issues.

I attempted to join up to the WA club and when i submitted my request the screen just cleared itself... does it still go through? I am presuming so...

Other than that look forward to meeting you all and im happy to share any knowledge as i have just done pretty much a ground up rebuild of my 33.... plus i know a few secrets on getting that 'extra hp' out of a stocker and also been there and done that with a high performance rebuild. So if you need a hand let me know!

Mike

Thanks.....

Unfortunately the car is awaiting the all important tune, its is pretty much complete, just need to make my seats fit and off to the dyno..... ill deff be in the next one with it tho :)

welcome mike,

perhaps on the cruise this friday someone could give ya a lift if their in ya area...

I will be joining in half way so even if ya have friends that drive i am sure they can tag along. Even though we cater for skylines mainly on the cruises we very often get other cars aswell. By the sounds of it the cruise this Friday should be a big one!

let us know how much ya puppy puts out?

what did ya do in the rebuild? forged pistons? bigger turbo yet?

Well it was a bit of a standardish rebuild gone wrong.... hehehe where do i start....

I-beam rods

Venolias pistons

HKS step1 cams

Ported/polished head

Custom 1.7mm head gasket

Garrett GT35R

HKS lowmount manifold

Custom made plenumn

XF throt

Sard 850cc injectors

Powerfc

Z32 afm

Trust type R BOV

Garrett 4" intercooler

Trust profec b specII

3.5" to 4" exhaust with hks hi-power muffler

No output yet, just run the cams in but will let you know... Its going to Cypher early next week

Ill stick in a pic if i can work out how.......

Yeah Formaz it is...... My cousins friend has that HIPSI 180sx that cypher did and with the numbers he got out of that sr20 they must be doing something right (something like 500+hp). but i have only heard good things and by talking to them on a tech level they sound okay.... but really you can only try and find out. I spoke to lumpy at Hyperdrive, but he didnt want to tune my car for whatever reason, maybe a combo of to busy and lots of custom work.

The plenumn was made by myself and a very good friend of mine, Michael Briffa who has a small fabrication shop in morley. We did everything on my car.... plenumn, intercooler tanks, pipework, seat rails, dump pipe/exhaust, and a few other bits and pieces ill keep secret till its on the road (im sure it will impress). As for flow, well it is even and you can blow through it so id say it will be ok :D The dyno will tell... but the key is a nice throt, an xf falcon one as it is 80mm, an infinity q45 is more compatible(for the tps etc) but i already had the xf one.

But if you guys have any other suggestions for tuners???

I just typed a reply to this but for some reason it went awol.

I dont remember your enquiry, so forgive me and I certainly doubt I would have said I dont want to tune people's cars, unless it's got a dog onboard, which for that we need to call the Ranger from the Pound! Perhaps we just couldnt do it in your required time frame?

You guys may or may not be surprised at the amount of enquiries we get. No joke. People ring up mid arvo and want to book their car in for a tune that day! They get pissed off when we say we cant do it. It's a little bit unrealistic to expect that a business would be standing around with nothing to do or work scheduled just incase Mr Anonymous wants a dyno....... We also have to be fair to those who have booked in and are waiting for their slot.

We are very busy these days and it is just getting busier and busier. Minor service work is still within the week, but tuning work is at least a week and out to 2 in some cases. Custom work we are booked out for a couple of weeks and large projects we would be in the region of 6-8 weeks booked ahead, assuming that the phone stops ringing and nobody walks in the front doors! It is not like this just at the moment. It is all the time.

Anyway, I'd be happy to tune your car sl33kgts, so if you want to give us a call to book it in, please do so. If I cant speak to you personally, Ken can more than handle the booking.

Happy Days!

Well it was a bit of a standardish rebuild gone wrong.... hehehe where do i start....

Thats how they all go :)

Garrett GT35R

HKS lowmount manifold

Is that an internally gated gt35? What sort of specs? I was looking at an hks low mount manifolds (very nice!) for my gt35 my but it didn't look like the mainfold could be used with an external wastegate.

The GT35R is garretts brand new turbo developed with ford for the xr6 turbo and yes it is internally gated. This in turn made it a pain to fit and even more of a problem to line up the actuator. But now it is in, i hope it never has to come out! The HKS manifold (i have the cast one) has provision for a wastegate on the top of it. I have just put a plate on it as its not required for me. But i think you will find that the gt35 will fit more comfortably. I think the wastegate hole is only for hks style 4 stud pattern........ An awesome combination for larger turbos as the manifold has 3 long runners and 3 short runners which are separated from each other, thus meaning the short chamber gets to turbo going for the long set. And best of all?? "Its all standard officer".

In reply to lumpy.... It was a while a go i spoke to you. I was actually in the process of building the engine and needed some advice. There was no urgency at the time but if my memory serves me right there was something about my car you did not like??? (honestly cant remember). But anyway the car has been booked in for Wed morning now. But i am sure i will be requiring more tuning as i look toward the track and i would only be happy to support the clubs sponsors :(

Lots has happened since then, but I'd say it was probably the ability of the internal wastegate to cope with the target horsepower and keep backpressure under control. That's generally one of my biggest gripes! I have a habit of speaking my mind which often gets misconstrued.

The turbo itself is good. We tune a lot of the XR6T stuff now and they make some serious mumbo, but the situation is much different with the Ford clanger not revving anywhere near as high for starters. I think that given the opportunity to add a gate so easily, you'd be mad not to take advantage of it.

Regardless, it all sounds good, and I look forward to seeing how it all pans out. Keep us posted, and maybe even post a dyno graph up here when you get a chance.