SAU Community

Bosch 984 Fuel Pump Installation

wolverine

me again :P

turns out u just yank on the cable and out the fuel pump comes....

last question this time.. for sure...

im just seeing how it all reattachs now..Im just not sure do i just hookup the rubber fuel pipe directly to the pump and bypass the gold pipes on the brackets ?

Also when i mount it with some rubber to stop the vibrations.. is that the vibrations between the pump and the mounting bracket.. or the pump and fuel tank

thanks again :)

oh yeah.. i've included a pic so you all know what im on about :

post-19018-1124802418.jpg

Edited by justin911

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

justin i just re-read the guide i think it has all been covered in there.

see point 10

"10. you will notice that the pump won't fit directly onto the cradle without cutting or bending the existing metal fuel pipe, so i trimmed mine with a hacksaw and smoothed off any rough edges. "

No..

for ignition to occur, there needs to be a steady supply of fresh oxygen to burn, which you will not find in a fuel tank as its largely pressurised (hear that hiss when u open the fuel lid?). Also there shouldn't be any spark if you have connected everything securely, and using proper connectors and nothing is grounding/rubbing itself on nearby metal.

Also - it requires a fair spark to set off ignition, otherwise every time you got out of your car at a petrol station you'd be at risk of blowing it up due to static electricity.

The factory pump actually has bare exposed neg terminal anyhow.

and I'm in IT as well :D

cool thanks heaps for that info :D makes me a feel a bit safer.

so going by that, just to double check for the last time.. if the + terminal on the stock pump wasnt covered it would be all cool though anyways yeah as long as it would securely done like you said ???

im so close to completing it now :D were going on day 3 of the saga.....

just need to get some of those connector things to crimp on the wires and stick it all back in and i'll be done... hopefully :(

thanks

i finaly have my bosch 040 fuel pump installed and working !!!!!!

Now I can proceed to the final step in the installation... get the blood transfusion/skin grafs :D

thanks sooo much for all your help guys, I realy realy appreciate it :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm installing mine this weekend, thanks for the detailed guide Wolverine

Does it matter if there is a full tank of fuel in the car? or is it better to change the pump when the fuel level is low?

Also does it affect the low fuel light operation in any way? Because the 040 doesnt have a sock should I be worried about running out of fuel before the low fuel light comes on?

i found that it was easier with a near empty tank.

as far as i understand the fuel light function will be unchanged so if you mount the 040 too high you might have issues. if you mount the pump as low as you can get it (presumably by modifying/cutting the bracket) you should have no issues.

note: that i used the 984 pump but the mods have changed the thread name as it is very close to the same with the exception that the 984 has a hose end vs the open end on the 040.

good luck with the install genghis.

Man the R33 tank must be different to the R34 tank... when I did my install, we had to engineer a custom intake "sock" using a stainless reducer and silicon hose in order to reach the bottom of the tank?!?

Left alone, the car would start to surge with about a quarter tank left ;) Anyways, it's fine now - didn't cost much to make up and at least it's another "custom" item in the car LOL

Yeah, mid-way through the 040 install we were kicking ourselves too... we should've just gotten the 044 and used the stock pump as a pre-pump into the 044 and then into a surge tank setup!

Much less hassle, much easier to setup!

Guys, I got it installed successfullly

I only used three band aids and no need for skin grafts. It was an absolute BITCH of a JOB. Minor cuts nothing major.

Anyway had some dramas with my alarm because i disconnected the battery but now I can start the car.

The pump sits as low as i can get it. I modified the bracket by straightening the bottom holder and clamping the pump on that. The wires needed to be made longer and I heat shrinked the connections.

Its actually a very quiet pump, when idle you cant hear it at all. It is noisy when priming though but I like that sound.

Cheers the the guide, it came in very handy!