SAU Community

AFM Cleaning and de-meshing, the popup book version.

Sciby

Howdy all,

I've just recieved my new happy A'pexi Super Happy Fun Power Funnel airfilter, and I was pondering what I had read in the AFM cleaning thread, whether I should do it or not.

Well, I did it. Here's the pictures for the people who aren't sure.

116-1605_IMG_small.jpg116-1606_IMG_small.jpg

Here's the old HKS filter pod, dirty as a dog's bum, along with the rest of the engine bay. On the right is the AFM, waiting for the cleaning of a lifetime.

116-1607_IMG_small.jpg116-1608_IMG_small.jpg

I decided to take the HKS pod and the AFM off in one piece, here on the left, I've undone the hose clamp and wiggled the AFM out... tight fit. There's the sensor data cable, give that tab on the left a really really good squeeze, it should click, and it should pop straight off.

116-1614_IMG_small.jpg116-1615_IMG_small.jpg

That's the front mesh there, it was utterly black when I got it out, I wiped all the gunk off the front, but I still ran a towel inside it later on. You can see some of the crap inside the afm, and this was after a blast with the contact cleaner

116-1616_IMG_small.jpg116-1619_IMG_small.jpg

Oh, here's the contact cleaner now, getting to know the AFM on their first date. The large chunks of wood are from an unrelated project. The rear mesh, or remains thereof, is on the right.

116-1620_IMG_small.jpg116-1622_IMG_small.jpg

The new air pod and the AFM meet, you can see on the right the total reaming of the old mesh area place thingy. That first photo is quite arty, with the ScibyLine just out of focus on the right... I could be a marketing photographer... or... er... maybe not.

116-1624_IMG_small.jpg116-1625_IMG_small.jpg

The pod and afm move in together, they certainly seem happy together so far, and all their bits fit perfectly. Maybe I'll here the sucky-sucky of little filters in the engine bay soon... and yes, the socket set is a new mod, good for another 30hp at the wheels. With a bit of tweaking on the 12mm socket, the ScibyLine will run 9's. True shit, bro.

Also reset the computer, and it all seems happy. Runs and idles much better, revs much freer down low and I accidentally... well... almost accidentally... okay fine, I dropped the clutch at about 5k and burnt the clutch for the 3rd time. You happy now?? :D

(Cleaning out the AFM seems to not hurt anything and I can see how it would be beneficial. It's part of my servicing now.)

okay fine, I dropped the clutch at about 5k and burnt the clutch for the 3rd time. You happy now??  

speaking of burning clutches I "accidently" did the same thing and had a horrible smell lingering around for a while....

is this a good thing? im thinking not how much abuse will the standard clutch take...(maybe this should be a new thread) oh well..

Originally posted by akeenan

speaking of burning clutches I "accidently" did the same thing and had a horrible smell lingering around for a while....

is this a good thing? im thinking not how much abuse will the standard clutch take...(maybe this should be a new thread) oh well..

Meh, I started the thread, so I'll forgive you...

No, stinky stinks are bad.

In this case, if you give it a bit and it feels like the engine is bellowing but the car ain't moving like it should, or like the wheels might be spinning, but there's no screeching, then the clutch is slipping. You'll get a horrible smell through the aircon. Just buy a new clutch plate because once they start dying, they die faster and faster.

Just buy a new clutch plate because once they start dying, they die faster and faster.

they certainly do!!!

i've just picked up an OS Twin Plate clutch... so hopefully no more slippage.

I'm looking at getting one of those Filters... i don't have an AFM at the moment, running MAP. But as i am in melbourne and there isn't anyone to tune HKS FCON's properly, i'm thinking of changing over to a Power FC and Z32 AFM

Guest GR33DyMANGO

quality posts like this should be archived.

moderators: can we somehow have this post saved into a special section?

ta.

justin