SAU Community

Is this the meaning to RB and SR????

Ok now i havnt trolled through a search to see if anyone else has suggested this yet, but i do remember a lot of people asking about this.

I was thinking about the nissan engine naming system the other night while a tad bored and this is what i've come up with, if anyone knows better please correct me.

Now as we all know the SR is a 4 cylinder alloy block, and the RB is an Iron 6.

Now the japanese word for "4" is "Si" and the jap for 6 is "Roku", to me this is a pretty obvious pointer. SR must mean "4 - somethingorother" and RB "6 - somethingelse".

Now can anyone tell me if there is a japanese word for Alloy or aluminium that begins with an R or a word for iron that starts with a B?

Any takers?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

japanese slang for alloy is "alu" if that helps.

something that dosen't sit right with that theory is the fact that FJ20's and CA18's are all 4 cylinders and they have different characters, same with the older L series straight 6's.

One of the guys suggested that R was for Rong (japanese dosen't have an L in katakana, hence Long is pronounced Rong) and S was for Short :) I think we threw something at him for that stroke of brilliance.

Good theory though, sounds a lot better than the nut-jobs that think RB stands for Race-bred.

cheers funky..... well the good news is that the FJ and CA thing doesnt go totally against what i've said.... but instead just throws any hope of consistency to use as a lead... bugger :)

I hope you threw something heavy at him :)

do we have any other takers with theories on these that ARENT "Race Bred" or related.

Guys I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure out why Nissan used 'RB'26 or whatever... I noticed that most of the guys who do seem to think the Japanese people think in English, thereby we have numbskulls sayin "RB means 'race Bred' uleh!"... LOL as if the Japanese would do that.

But one little hint as to what they did mean, the R31 Skyline range included the '2.8D GT Passage D' which obviously was powered by the 'RD28' diesel engine. So if we look at that designation, the 'D' in 'RD28' means diesel of course... obviously... nothing groundbreaking there. Hmmm, I'd go as far to say that the first letter ie: 'R' in 'RB26' is just a letter used to signify a petrol inline six.

its like asking what is 'pH' stands for?!

pH? why that stands for pH = -log10[H+] which is the "hydrogen ion exponent" and the designation PH for the numerical value of the exponents of this power.

[H+] indicates the activity of H+ ions (also written [H3O+], the equivalent hydronium ions), measured in moles per litre (also known as molarity).

why do u ask? :rofl:

maybe you should have trolled through search..

you would have found this..

R = 6 cylinder, closed deck.  

B = Gasoline application using cast iron/nickle based block.

S = 4 cylinder, closed deck.  

R= Gasoline application using sand-cast alloy based block.  

K = 4 cylinder, closed deck.  

A = Gaslone application using sand-cast iron based block.  

Q = 4 cylinder, open deck.  

R = Gaslone applcation using die-cast alloy based block.

nah the RB26 is a RB26

yeh im not trying to say they are the same engine but they are built the same just with 2 cyl + or -. Solid lifters and all that jazz. Plus whats 18x1.5?? thats right. 2.6 and change. Testament to the fact that my ca ownz :rofl: