SAU Community

Adjustable cam gears.

JimX

I'm thinking of getting HKS adjustable cam gears, but I have a few questions. What's the best price I can get them for? (Sydney) Perfect Run have them for $255 each which seems like a reasonable price.

How hard are they to install/adjust yourself? How do you actually adjust them? How will they affect my power and running of the engine?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimx,

I'm getting some adjustable cam gears for my 'line too. I was going to get HKS but have been deterred buy a few people who have said the HKS can be unreliable and break too easy due to being made from aluminium.. Apparently they have a habit of wearing the teeth out and the timing slipping. These guys do have very big hp cars so maybe for the average joe like us it would be ok, but I'm going for a set of JUN steel cams sprockets which are only about $60 more than HKS for the set....

Just my 2c...

Brett

Nengun has HKS gear for $185 each.

http://www.nengun.siteblast.com/courses.as...id=57739&page=1

But I've heard on SDU that they aren't too reliable. With only 3 bolts holding it in place, some people have found the gear to slip under load and mess up timing.

Sub-zero have Toda gears for $165 each. They use 5 bolts to hold the gear in place, so it seems like a better bet. I haven't used either product though.

http://www.sub-zero.com.au/engine.htm

I got a quote from a JUN Supplier over east for $280 each ($560 a set) and our guy over here in Perth can do them the same price... Not flashy looking like the Purple and blue HKS ones but I don't intend on driving around with the cam cover off anyway....

Brett

I think someone mentioned in another thread that it's about a 10kw increase and the turbo kicks in about 200rpm earlier, both of which are good enough reasons to get them IMO.

What I mainly want to know though is how hard would it be to do myself? Is it simply a case of removing the timing belt and associated covers etc then bolting on the new gears, then replacing everything? How do you set them up exactly? (like which holes go where)

dun u think better leave it to the mechanic, coz if u mess up ur timing, ur valve will hit ur cylinder head n bang goes ur engine...

even if you manage to install em urself, as long as you noted the correct position of the cam before changing it, u still need to tune the timing on dyno anyway....

I've got one on my exhaust cam shaft. If you have a look at my dyno sheet, you'll see it actually causes a dip in the power right after the NVCS (I think that's what it is called) kicks in. I'm not sure how much more power it gave me (if any) - it wouldn't have been much though maybe a few rwkw's.

I'm not sure what effect it would have on the intake camshaft, but you can buy them. I can't see it screwing up anything, but don't blame me if it does.

Hi Guys,

We have been discussing similar questions on a camshaft thread. The cheapest price for HKS gears is from nengun at $185 per gear plus shipping. If you can organise a group buy he can fit 5 sets for one shipping cost, bring the price to about $200 each landed. I've not heard of anyone using the Toda gears, but I would imagine they are just as good as HKS, just not a flashy looking.

The best way to use the gear is as a set, inlet and exhaust. The best results for power is if the exhuast is retarded 4deg. from the inlet cam. There is no point getting a mechanic to fit them unless your planning on having them just for looks, you will need the car to be on a dyno to get real results. It's not something you should try yourself unless your experienced with timing and have a good timing light.

If you still have factory cams then 10-15kW is probably all the power difference you will get, but you can get improved torque and turbo response with them. If you have programmable management then the dip around the NVCS shouldn't occur with a competant tuner.

One of the guys on our thread will be getting his car tuned on Monday and posting the results, so stay tuned.

See'ya:burnout:

If you where going to put one on the intlet would you disable the variable cam timing? I am just thinking if you advance with a cam gear you would get a summed advance with the variable timing, and it would negate the retard from the variable timing. I have only heard of exhaust cam gears on R33s. Anxiously awaiting your results if you give it a go.

Edit: Should have read the cam post then I would know GT N1K is trying it tomorrow :D

For RB25DET's, its not possible to fit a cam gear onto intake shaft without remving VCT timing sensors and possibily swapping the intake cam shaft for a non-VCT item. So people with stock cams only need one adj cam gear, for exhaust cam.

b2barker and Gradenko,

Yes thats right, adding the inlet cam gear will negate the effect of the NVCS, which is what most of us are aiming for, but stock cams are fine I believe, can anyone confirm?. Inlet and exhaust cam gears will provide the best results, but that is not to say that exhaust gear alone wont help.

Yes GT N1K is giving it a go tommorow, we eagerly await his results. There is also discussion on the reliability of the HKS gears and other gear manufacturers. It would be good if you guys have anything to contribute on these issues.

See'ya:burnout:

Hi Guys,

YO880,

A set of adjustable cams gears will work great with a Power FC, they will add 10-15kW on factroy cams, with aftermarket cams with larger separation the difference will be huge. Do note that it will remove the NVCS, variable cam timing.

MIC33R,

With an SAFC there is not much that you can do about the dip, so they didn't stuff up. You will see some minor improvement with the exhaust gear, and unless you get aftermarket management, probably not worth doing the inlet cam gear.

400HP,

Those prices sound about right, but if you organise a group buy then the freight can be split. Check out sub-zero though, they have HKS and Toda at very good prices. I haven't had anyone actually say that they have had first hand experience with the HKS gear breaking but there are plenty of rumors.

Everyone,

I am organising a group buy in Perth (5 sets), as even if I only get them for myself we have enough cars to put them in. I should find out on Moday what deal Sub-zero can do and then let you all know. It's too difficult to worry about shipping them around the different states, so I'd encourage you to do a group buy with some of your mates.

See'ya

:burnout: