SAU Community

Epa

Ait

Originally posted by akeenan

*** id like to take a minute and remember my old trust exhaust ...full 4 inch pipe with the good old 5 inch tip id belted out 108 db ...that lasted about 1 month :mad:    ****

thankyou.

Akeenan, i know this is kinda off the subject, but have a R33 GTS-T and just ordered a Trust Power Extreme II turbo back with a 3.7" pipe... it comes with a baffle that sits in the back box, but now i'm worried that it will be EXTREMELY loud... i live in a high residential area with lots of old folk who may become scared... is that what you had? Any baffle? :eek:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear. The EPA and the elderly are certainly going to be unhappy. Is it unbearably loud? why did you take it off your car? You had a cat back didn't you?

I've ordered a turbo back, with cat replacement pipe (yeah yeah i know i shouldn't :uh-huh: ).... this will surely only be louder?

-marcus

why did you take it off your car?

the EPA made me!!!!, this thing was a beast when it was idilling you could hear it clearly 3 houses away!!!! i used to set off car alarms left right and centre....

it was very loud oh yes and now its gone :mad:

oh yes it was cat back

my car got complianced with that left on it...i wanted it left on so the place i got it done at just said ok....they knew it was illegal, but they didnt seem to care....

anyhow i got busted with it about 1 month later so we took it back to the joint and they replaced it for free with something legal....ive got no idea what it is all i know is that it is only 81db now and its got a 3 inch from the cat and a 3 inch tip...its all stainless steel. They said that my current exhaust is 100 times better than the other one but I would trade anyday!! however I would only get busted again...:mad:

and the dudes kept it and that was the last i saw of it

• 3 weeks later...

So i've just got my exhaust... only the cat back section at the moment; the front pipe is on its way.

It is a 4" TRUST Power Evolution, basically straight through all the way (there is a pic on the last page i think). It is loud. Witout the baffle i couldn't drive around; it was so bloody noisy. Has an awesome note though; without the baffle sounded like a racer.

With the baffle in (after 1 day) it is not too bad, but will still be a fair bit above the legal limit i'd guess... Akeenan, must be the same one you had. Posted some pics too

-m

Can't have done 108dB with the baffle in... its not that loud... without would be at least 108dB... I also have a TRUST Airnx and that is LOUD...

Going to the nearest underground carpark tomorrow and causing some havoc!

:P:D:)

I received an EPA notice in the mail back in October for excessive noise.

Someone else was driving my car when they passed a copy car who had pulled someone else over. My car pulled into a driveway a couple houses down as this was his destination.

2 weeks later, I received the notice and had 30 days to have the car tested for sound. Somehow, my car had to come in at less than 90db at 4200rpm.....

How did a car like mine pass I hear you ask??? It's a long story but let me tell you that a dead stock R33 GTR including exhaust reads at 89.2 db and not all Midnight purple R33 GTRs are the same as mine :P

Oh and BTW, they don't give you certificates with smiley faces and passes to stick to your boot anymore. I don't even know where I put my copy of the statement which I sent to the EPA.

Turtle, it is a bit low, but i have no problems on speed bumps so far coz my car is stock ride / stock wheels.

Leewah, hopefully i won't have to visit the EPA with the baffle in, but if i do i'd better find a friend with a silver series 1 GTS-t :P