SAU Community

I found a Manual S2 Stag in bris

craz0

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yepp, I understand that, it's just a big jump in price :)

You could get a low km series 1 with all the good options (leather, sun roofs etc..) and then do a manual conversion for about $5k, and then spend $5k on engine and suspension mods.

It'd handle better and have more power than the series 2 and you'd have all the good stuff.

That's what I would do, but everyone is different so that's fair enough.

J

Actually not the worst price considering its 2000 model manual with very low kms.... there are 2000 model, automatic, rear wheel drive only Stageas for sale in QLD for $34,000!

I see your argument Jay - and me and SK were at odds over it in another thread previously... but it all comes down to an individual's budget I guess. I am still gonna mod my Series 2 as much as I would have a Series 1 (ie - do everything possible) and not fuss about the extra $5000 I might have paid - plus I am happy that I start with a Neo6 engine with the much higher torque particularly, lower kms, less age on the car, 4 x airbags, tiptronic (seeings Jackie doesnt want manual its better than straight auto) etc etc.... so yeah as u say its up to the individual - but the extra $ for a series 2 was no biggie to me and I think it has alot of advantages as a base to mod from than a series 1.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually not the worst price considering its 2000 model manual with very low kms.... there are 2000 model, automatic, rear wheel drive only Stageas for sale in QLD for $34,000!

I see your argument Jay - and me and SK were at odds over it in another thread previously... but it all comes down to an individual's budget I guess.  I am still gonna mod my Series 2 as much as I would have a Series 1 (ie - do everything possible) and not fuss about the extra $5000 I might have paid - plus I am happy that I start with a Neo6 engine with the much higher torque particularly, lower kms, less age on the car, 4 x airbags, tiptronic (seeings Jackie doesnt want manual its better than straight auto) etc etc.... so yeah as u say its up to the individual - but the extra $ for a series 2 was no biggie to me and I think it has alot of advantages as a base to mod from than a series 1.

I agree. And not just that, I've been watching the prices in Japan, and there is NO WAY they could be selling a series 2 manual stagea with that many kms for that price if it was a reasonable auction grade. I suspect it either must be an accident repair job, or the clock has been wound back, or both.

Anybody buying it should ask to see the original Auction sheet (as everybody buying a car already in the country should do for any car!!)

For a S2 Stag, manual awd, landed and complied is around the 20-30 Grand mark, considering the km's and condition. The price on this Stag? Possibly a little over priced if you ask me...

I'd like to know what auctions you buy at if you think you can get a manual landed and complied for $20k.

For a S2 Stag, manual awd, landed and complied is around the 20-30 Grand mark, considering the km's and condition. The price on this Stag? Possibly a little over priced if you ask me...

You have got to be kidding...

I'd like to know what auctions you buy at if you think you can get a manual landed and complied for $20k.

Unless it was not that many Km's, or accident repair, or 'hot', or all of the above, there is NO way to do that...

I've been looking at the auction results at just about all the Japanese auctions for the last month or so, and watching what all the series 2 stageas do.

Most are passing in, but a number are selling.

The main variables for the price are km's travelled, year, manual/auto.

Manuals are always more expensive than Auto's

Later years are almost always more expensive than earlier (even if they are the same model)

Km's make a BIG difference to the price.

So the CHEAPEST series 2's are the autos, late 1998/or 1999, and say 80K Km (the main price points for Km are low (ie 40k) medium (say 80k) and high (120k)).

Assuming it is not an accident repair, and in good nick (ie grade 4) they go for a bit over 1M yen ie a few have gone in the last few weeks for 1.1M Yen

At that price, the FOB (ie including Japanese broker fee) is 1.18M Y

Assuming aud/yen of .81

Aus cost = $14,568

+ shipping, customs, etc (say $2000)

+ GST + Import Duty ($3200)

+ compliance (including CAT for series 2) ($4000)

+ tires (cheap ones) $800

= $24.7K - without stamp duty etc etc. AND WITHOUT ANY AUSTRALIAN AGENTS FEE OR PROFIT MARGIN BY THE DEALER!!

Agreed, a yard may or may not pay the agents fee, but they have to make a profit margin!!!!

And the above was the BEST case - price would go up considerably if the KM's came down, the year moved forward, or it was a manual.

The one in QLD was ALL of those things.

A 2000 model would take the auction price up at least 100K yen, if not 200K yen or more - say 150K ie $27K in aus - still no profit margin or agents fee in that.

The low KM's advertised would probably add at least 200K Yen, possibly 400K yen + Assuming the mid figure (300k) the price in Aus is now $31.4

Going to manual as WELL as the above, would push it up at least a few 100K yen. While the manuals aren't unknown, there is literally only a handful each week ( series 2) selling in the Japanese Auction system.

Say it adds 200K yen, that brings the price in aus to $34.4K - with no profit or agents fee!

So you couldn't sell it in a yard for 30K unless you were making a loss!!!

In reality, I suspect it could have more KM's - say 80K kms - that would make aus price $29.9K

Still not enough for a profit margin...

The year and the transmission can't be faked (assuming someone checks the vin in FAST) so the next suspect is the auction grade.

If it is an accident repair, it could easily lose another 400K yen, bringing it's cost in Aus down to $23.9K - thus there would be a profit margin of $6k..

Now that sounds feasible...

I no, I'm not making these numbers up! I bid today on a few - and one I was very interested in was a 2000 series 2 stagea with 80K kms, auction grade 4. It passed in for 1.3M yen (ie 1.4m FOB) ie $27.6K in Australia (without the local agents fee, which would take it to $28.7K - and that's doing all the import work myself!)

I didn't buy it as it would have required a bit of aftermarket work due to some mods, and I was bidding on another one almost simultaneously..

If you can do much better than the prices above, start bringing them in and selling them!!!

Ian

ps yes, I know, I'm a bit over the top on research.....

A mint 81,000 klm 2001 Manual 4 C was picked up today for just over 1,200,000 FOB and it was a bargin, the car was like new inside so a low klm one shouldnt have wear marks.

People like post cars for sale but wont put the auction reports up when they use the photos from Japan.

My brain is trying to comprehend BOTH the left and right rear wheels having been replaced by spare space-savers on that car... weird...

But as for costs...

At that price, the FOB (ie including Japanese broker fee) is 1.18M Y  

Assuming aud/yen of .81

Aus cost = $14,568

+ shipping, customs, etc (say $2000)

+ GST + Import Duty ($3200)

+ compliance (including CAT for series 2) ($4000)

+ tires (cheap ones) $800

= $24.7K - without stamp duty etc etc. AND WITHOUT ANY AUSTRALIAN AGENTS FEE OR PROFIT MARGIN BY THE DEALER!!

One thing potentially wrong in these calculations for dealers that are also the RAWS themselves is that it doesnt cost them anywhere NEAR $4000 to do the compliance themselves... they just work on them out the back in their normal hours around selling etc - so its just the cost of the few parts and paperwork etc. Its only private importers that get slugged $4000 for all the labour etc.

:P

My brain is trying to comprehend BOTH the left and right rear wheels having been replaced by spare space-savers on that car... weird...

One thing potentially wrong in these calculations for dealers that are also the RAWS themselves is that it doesnt cost them anywhere NEAR $4000 to do the compliance themselves... they just work on them out the back in their normal hours around selling etc - so its just the cost of the few parts and paperwork etc.  Its only private importers that get slugged $4000 for all the labour etc.

:P

Valid point about the space savers!!! And look at the front seats!!!!!

At the moment not many places can DO compliance for the stageas, and the dealer that has the car at the top of the post isn't one of them.... SO they would have to pay to have it done!!!

As to DRIFTT's comment, lower Km's would have added 300K yen (at least), which would still have brought it up to $30K - with NO agent fee or yard profit!!!!!!! ie just not possible... So even given an excellent bargain like the one he mentioned (which are very very rare) you STILL couldn't sell it in a yard for $30K!!!!!!!!

Looking at the pictures again, ie the rear wheels, front seat condition etc etc etc.. I suspect add 100K km's and some pretty rough treatment, if not accident, to the car at the top of the post.

I'll stand corrected if someone wants to post it's auction sheet - as DRIFT says, most dealers want to not display them. If I was buying a car already in the country, I would demand to see the original auction sheet...

So I still don't know what planet someone was on when they were suggesting $20-$30K for a reasonable series 2 manual! If you can get a GOOD series 2 manual already here and complied for $30K, grab it!!

Ian

As to DRIFTT's comment' date=' lower Km's would have added 300K yen (at least), which would still have brought it up to $30K - with NO agent fee or yard profit!!!!!!! ie just not possible.[/b].. So even given an excellent bargain like the one he mentioned (which are very very rare) you STILL couldn't sell it in a yard for $30K!!!!!!!![/quote']

It is rare for a price like that and is worth it even with the klm's as they are properly true compared to others offered for sale, lower klm would add 500,000 plus so I would expect to pay 1,500,000 at least for a sub 30,000 klm car.

One thing potentially wrong in these calculations for dealers that are also the RAWS themselves is that it doesnt cost them anywhere NEAR $4000 to do the compliance themselves... they just work on them out the back in their normal hours around selling etc - so its just the cost of the few parts and paperwork etc. Its only private importers that get slugged $4000 for all the labour etc.

This is far from the truth as you can get, I can tell you that from first hand not from an assumption.

Why Don`t U Look At The Rest Of This Dealers Stock...69 Cars ...all Under 60,000klm`s!!!!...whats Going On Here Aint Rocket Science....

These Guys Cars Are Cheaper In Southport Than They Are In Tokyo..amazing..how Do They Do It I Wonder :bs!:

It is rare for a price like that and is worth it even with the klm's as they are properly true compared to others offered for sale, lower klm would add 500,000 plus so I would expect to pay 1,500,000 at least for a sub 30,000 klm car.

I agree, at LEAST 1.5M. In practice, it's not often that you get one with that few a kms. I saw one a few weeks ago, (in japan) that was a 2002, AUTO with 37k Kms - just over 2M yen.. For a 2000 model AUTO with 44K kms - passed in at 1.2M, or another AUTO, 1999, 37k kms - passed in 1.45M, or a 2000 MANUAL with 43K kms - yes, 'like' the one in QLD - passed in for 1.64M (and that's not FOB).

Taking that last one, IF (IF!) it had sold for what it passed in at, it would be $33K in Aus, without a local agent fee or profit margin!!!!

When something looks too good to be true, ......

Why Don`t U Look At The Rest Of This Dealers Stock...69 Cars ...all Under 60,000klm`s!!!!...whats Going On Here  Aint Rocket Science....

These Guys Cars Are Cheaper In Southport Than They Are In Tokyo..amazing..how Do They  Do It  I Wonder :bs!:

You obviously don't understand multi dimension hyperspace inverted time/price atomic car supply methods... :-)

Are you a complete F*kin idiot?? Have you seen my profession? What I do with my life? Dont you F*kin think I would know the prices? I know how much these cars sell for, I know what car yards sell them for. U havnt wondered what CSV Imports is all about?

Just for your knowledge, my quoted prices are correct, you can get them for that price. So in future, Dont anyone question me about the costs of importing a car. I do it for a living, Dont anyone tell me it cant be done. It can and does happen. Dont insult my oppinion. :rofl:

this goes for you 2 ian.