SAU Community

Hi- mount or low mount

Guys im looking for a new manafold to put on my RB20det r32 gts-t. Now is hi-mount of low mount better? what are the advantages & disadvantages? also it has to fit a HSK2530 turbo. are these external or internal waste gates? also whats better internal or external gates?

the HKS 2530 turbos i believe have internal wastegates. internals aregood for smaller turbos, external wastegates are better for high-powered bigger turbos, an external wastegate allows for more exhaust gases to be vented (ideal for big boost applications). I've heard that a high mounted turbo is best, something about the oil doesn't gather within the turbo or something. A high mount gives you a little bit more room for a bigger turbo for example.

How can you have different boost settings with an external waste gate? does that mean you have to manually change it? and hight mount would be the go you think?

go high mount. An external wastegate has a bigger valve which would vent alot more unwanted exhaust gases compared to usually a rather small internal wastegate, when you deal with more boost and power youre going to need an external.

yeah but with an external waste gate how do you control the boost levels? do you set the springs for max psi (16-18psi) and then the bov controls the rest?

I would always got for low/rear mount in lieu of high/front mount as it puts the turbo in a better weight distribution position. Lower and rearward is definitely an advantage to the handling and braking performance. Plus it doesn't scream DEFECT, like a big shiny front mount in your face.;)

yeah but with an external waste gate how do you control the boost levels? do you set the springs for max psi (16-18psi) and then the bov controls the rest?

BOV does not control boost.

External waste gate has less creep because of above mentioned reasons.

Top mount is easier to get at.