SAU Community

Engineer Certificate

SECURITY

Ok guys, I've decided to go through with it but i dont know what to expect.

My car is sitting at around 70mm off the ground,

ive got a pod filter,

3inch turbo back with a 5inch tip,

fmic,

boost gauge (on my a pillar),

boost controller (bleed valve),

atmo BOV

i just want to know wich mods the certificate will cover and what ill have to do to get them all covered

you're joking right?

right now you'd get defected for:

- ground clearance

- unshielded pod filter

- boost gauge on a-pillar (unless it sits lower than the highest part of your dash)

- boost controller

- atmo bov

I suggest you fix these up before wasting your time and money trying to get it engineered.

i already have been defected for all that...

but if all that was fixed then i wouldnt need it to be engineered. it would already be legal.

i dont understand what the whole point of having an engineer certificate is if everything has to be legal before enginneering.

but if all that was fixed then i wouldnt need it to be engineered. it would already be legal.

i dont understand what the whole point of having an engineer certificate is if everything has to be legal before enginneering.

well thats exactly what im saying i just didnt know what a engineer does

guys, the engineer isn't a magician, he works within the guidelines set by the RTA. he's there to tell you what is legal on your car and what is not. then when you have everything that is legal he will give you a report stating that fact and the police will not bother you. if on the other hand you have a certificate but still display pods and gauges on pillars etc you will get done.

i didnt expect to get them engineered.. but id at least want my rims, exhaust, pod and lowering engineered. i dont want my car sitting any higher than it already is.

You kno wi dont mean to sound drab,but why dont the engineers certify a cars emmissions as well!Im thinking that they (government-police & epa) have it his way to make more money from society through tyheir fines etc.

Think about it if there were emmisions tests at the engineers then we could slap them with a cert.

But then on that note they could be doing it the way they do it for reasons like.Not being able to trust the people involved,with the testing,to be honest.

End Rant and sorry for thje thread hijacking and not being on topic.

its not about the size of the rim... its the distance between the inside of the rim and the chassi of the car.

i think they make the space bigger by maybe adding spacers and I THINK they take a chunk out of the inside of the chassi to make the space bigger. im not 100% on that though

If you make major modifications or repairs to your car then it requires an engineering signatory to ensure your vehicle still complies with the ADRs. Its not a matter of just "getting it fixed", and its not something that you need to do only after you get defected. If you weren't modifying your car in a half-arsed way, then you would have already obtained the certificate before driving the car around.

The point of an engineering certificate is to have a qualified and independent person validate that your vehicle is still roadworthy. The engineer doesn't actually do any work on your car. They look at someone else's work and ensures that its not dodgy. That's why you need to have the car legal before taking it to them, so they can sign off on it.

but id at least want my rims, exhaust, pod and lowering engineered. i dont want my car sitting any higher than it already is.

Fact: your car sits 30mm below the legal minimum.

So your desire to have your vehicle's lowering signed off by an engineering signatory is mutually exclusive to your desire to not increase your ride height.

So which one do you want more? Because you're not getting both.

If your engineering signatory does a dodgy and signs off on it anyway, the moment a cop measures the distance they'll defect you anyway (since its clearly not legal, no matter what your sheet of paper says), and if you say that your engineer signed off on it then chances are they'll investigate him for abusing his powers and have his signatory powers removed.

Ok guys, I've decided to go through with it but i dont know what to expect.

My car is sitting at around 70mm off the ground,

ive got a pod filter,

3inch turbo back with a 5inch tip,

fmic,

boost gauge (on my a pillar),

boost controller (bleed valve),

atmo BOV

i just want to know wich mods the certificate will cover and what ill have to do to get them all covered

100mm is what the minimum is.

Pod filter is technically ok so long as it's not louder than 90db.

The exhaust will be ok so long as it's got a cat and not louder than 90db. Mine was tested at 3000rpm from 30cm or something.

Atmo BOV = no chance.

Everything else is up to whether or not it's safe.

Good luck.

my car is only sitting 30mm lower than the legal limit because of the sideskirts.

it doesnt matter does it? its the lowest point of the car

man that sucks.. to raise it i think ill just get 20's ;)

how do you go about getting say a set of 19in rim enginered on your car?

From my interpretation of the Vehicle Standard Information (bearing in mind that I'm not a lawyer), there's no limits to the diameter of your wheel.

The VSI No. 9 (Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres) states that your wheel track may not increase by more than 25mm. Your alternate wheel may not be more than 26mm wider than the factory rim without an engineering certificate. The outside diameter of your wheel and tyre combination can not be more than 15mm greater.

This means if your OEM wheel is 13x4, you can legally run a 22x5 rim if you can get it under the wheelarch and find tyres with a low enough profile without needing them engineered. However, a 13x5.5 wheel requires an engineer's certificate.

my car is only sitting 30mm lower than the legal limit because of the sideskirts.

it doesnt matter does it? its the lowest point of the car

man that sucks.. to raise it i think ill just get 20's ;)

the 100mm minimum is measured from the lowest point of the car. So whether its your front splitter, side skirts, or exhaust pipe, everything on your car has to sit at least 100mm off the ground.