SAU Community

Do you warm your car up?

TracidTrax

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

reinforcing the last comment, has anyone noticed how long it takes for a car to warm up at idle? so thus you are running the car "cold" for longer? there has to be a middle ground. for me, it's taking it easy for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

have you guys ever watched a F1 race car warm up from cold ... they rev them at a particular rev range at given tempretures as the car warms up to minimise the cold rattly pistons bashing around in the cylinders thus reduce engine wear ...

also i think somewhere i read the 75% of engine damage occurs in the first 5 mins of a car starting because it is outside its optimal heat range so getting the car to its optimal heat range as quickly as possible by driving it (within limits of course ... i dont mean that as soon as you start the car you have to dump a second gear burnout :D ) would be the best way to go?

Excuse the ignorance if i am wrong =P

have you guys ever watched a F1 race car warm up from cold ... they rev them at a particular rev range at given tempretures as the car warms up to minimise the cold rattly pistons bashing around in the cylinders thus reduce engine wear

They also heat the oil up to temperature before pouring it into the engine, to make further reduce the time it takes for your engine to warm up (which, in most cases, is to ensure the oil has enough heat to reach the proper viscosity).

I set my TT to 3mins and I go back in to brush my teeth etc.

I never warms up to full temp after 3 mins so I shift between 2-2.5k until I see the oil temp is at normal operating temp before even coming on boost :(

and I run 15w50 oil.

It's a small price to pay for proper maintenance.

No its not, thats 15minutes of the engine running at sub operational conditions hence more wear and tear, also running it at idle for 15mins would start to glaze the bores wouldnt it?

I think this would be doing more damage then its preventing, also your gearbox and drivetrain wouldn't be warmed up either.

get dressed for work, start car, set turbo timer on 10mins, go do everything else i gota, come back out about 7mins later and take it easy till is about 1/3 - 2/4 of the way up, then have a lil fun when i get to the 80-90 zones.. mmm windy fast roads *drool*

edit: although after reading what every1 has said, i mite not warm it up for as long from now on.. just a min or 2 then drive like a granny till she warms up.