SAU Community

can an engine run too cold ???

hey

my thermo died so it had been replaced but the car is now running much cooler then it originally was, these days its lucky to get upto 70deg (damn winter) whilst it was originally running at approx 85 deg. can this cause

bad fuel consumption ?

loss of power ?

engine damage ?

i'm just wondering cause i was looking at the water temp correction tables in the PFC and noticed that the only place where its set to 1.00 is at 80 deg +++

but if my water temp doesn't reach 80deg + then it'll always be treating the engine as if its still warming up..... should i get the thermo adjusted or can i just set the settings in the PFC to 1.00 for water temps at 60 deg +

also in the correciton tables there are 2 columns i assume one is for A/C on and the other for A/C off, but am unsure....

please help :confused: :confused: :confused:

hmmmmmm

unfortunately without an oil temp sensor i woulnd't have a clue about oil temps but one would assume they are cooler if the engine is running cooler.......

so can i adust using the water temp correciton maps ?

Most thermos do not cool as well as the standard clutch fan. After people install thermos, they usually notice that the temps run hotter.

Therefore, you're setup should be alright, because if you were running the stock fan, it would be even cooler (that is, assuming that you have the same setup - i.e. it switches on at the same temp etc).

so hopefully getting the PFC tuned should fix this problem, thats cool, aslong as it seems like a normal thing to be happening,

so since its getting tuned next week i'll slowly play with the PFC and see what happens

Your best bet is to re-calibrate your thermo fan controller to turn on later and keep your water temp between 75-85degC

Anything less and really it just causes engine wear and tear.

I would be looking to run 1.00 or no extra fuel anything above 70degC, anything below this and it will require extra fuel for smooth running.

well i had a fiddle with the PFC, turned down the 50 deg value in the PFC, seems to be runnign ok, its hard to tell nowhere to get up into 4th gear and wheelspin city thru 1,2, and a bit of 3, so hopefully tommorow will be cold and dry and we'll see, how can i find out how the thermo is set ???

got up to 70 deg quickly tonight on the way home and hovered there not until i put the boot in (3 short boosts in 3rd) did it start to climb and only upto 74 deg, then slowly dropped again......

Most definitely yes.

All metals expand. Aluminium-alloys much more & faster than iron-steel. All engines are machined to calculated clearances for the material composition of the components, so running cool it will not allow enough expansion & most components will wear faster. Also, most alloy headed engines produce maximum power between 82 - 90 deg. c. This is ofcourse as long as the gauge is accurate & measureing the temp. of the water exiting the head. Don't confuse low engine temps. with low charge air temps.