SAU Community

New import GTR service

liber8_d

Hey guys, I will hopefully get my R32 GTR this week after 600 years waiting.

What should I be doing to it when I pick it up? Has about 120k kms on it. (unsure if timing belt replaced or not.)

Of course I'll do a full fluids change. And another change fairly soon depending on what the old stuff looks like. And oil filter and service/replace the pod filters.

I'll also be putting in new Iridium plugs, probably NGKs. And almost certainly replace the timing belt just to be sure.

What else should I do/get done to make sure its in good condition?

Should I take it to a mechanic and get compression/leak test done, or anything else?

I'll go right over it visually and try to find any faults I can of course, and maybe take it to Pedders or the like and get them to check it too.

Should I take it to a professional shop to get a full service or do it myself with my mates(I have a friend(best mate's dad) who is a Aircraft Engineer that is qualified as a motor mechanic and helps me out for low fees i.e. usually a case of Boag's)

Is there anything I'm forgetting, or anything else that you would recommend?

Just asking for advice from people who have been there before.

Thanks,

Mat

P.S. I did a search and found very little info on this topic, but I it wouldn't let me go more than 3 pages into history. If you want to have a go at me for not searching first, don't, just go read another post.

Does it have a remote oil filter? If not, get a workshop to do the engine oil swap and filter swap as its a bit of a pig.

All the other fluids are easy enough to replace, but set aside a fair whack of change as you should probably change:

• Front and rear diffs
  • Gearbox
  • Transfer case
  • Powersteering
  • Radiator coolant
  • Brake coolant
  • Clutch (if you can be bothered)

Then there are all the consumables: brake pads, brake rotors, spark plugs (personally I'd get copper), etc. New air filter/pods is a good idea as most of the ones I have seen ex-Japan are filthy. Also look at changing your fuel filter and getting your injectors cleaned.

There are more, but I have a headache and that's all that comes to mind at the moment :(

Lucien.

brake coolant :s what the hell is that???

i would change every fluid. lucien mentioned them all also i would do the fuel filter, timing belt - why not upgrade water pump to n1 spec whilst doing this?, check all belts, (if not obvious that it has been done ie service history) my car will be in my hands i think in a week, and ill be doing that all, through a week(after work and on a saturday).

compression test is easy enough to do yourself(someone really should write a tutorial about it) and can be done when changing spark plugs.

maybe even drop it into nissan and get them to hook up consult to it(haha i work at nissan :( free use for me )

Liber8: As Lwells has mentioned above. Sure you might be able to do many things at home by yourself on a weekend but an "Import Mechanic" can get the entire thing checked over with things you may not notice along with doing all that 'upfront' dirty work.