SAU Community

Anyone Twin T3 Turboed There Rb Motor? Twin Rb30

GDZ1LA

im building a rb26/30 motor for a s14 silvia drift car, i want around 400-600hp, on a very tight buget,

i have engine fully build bar turbo setup,

i have a greddy twin td05/06 turbo manifold, but cannot find td turbos cheap

however i know a recker in chch nz, who has about 30x 16v rb20det around $100 each 4 me, turbos sitting there, i relise these are ceraimc, but i know they are reliable upto 14psi, twin 45v vg30 turbos may also be a option but too laggy?

these are defenlly bigger than std gtr twin tubos,

i was thinking of chopping off the wastegate system and welding up (converts to a 4 bolt dump pipe), maybee machining in larger intake/belmounths, and using the greddy type r wategate i have, ruuning twin 2.5" exh out side of car behind tyre and a single 2" 4 wategate,

run them oil cooled only i have done this on many t3 turbos to save hassle of lines)

and if anything happens simple remove the 2 housings and swap the internals

and replace the 3 bolt td flanges with 4 bolt t3 flanges, on manifold,

any one running twin t3's on any 3L motor, or even a 2.5??

what sorta flow would i expect from 12psi? enoguh for 500hp?]

i dont want a laggy engine, would it be using the tiny t3's i think they are .48 ar exh housings and 45v are .63 or .68?

so a 2l turbo would be used on a 1.5L engine,]

its either this package or a t78 greddy single which i have but thats prob going to be 4000rpm spool (compared to 3l supra) and i cannot find a t67 td06 60-1 t61 cheap,

also bonnet clearance is not a issue as a track only car, and a large hole in bonnet may help anyway with air temps

post-14949-1124512877.jpg

post-14949-1124512930.jpg

what are the specs of a greddy td05 (turbos used in original rb26 kit) a/ratios wheel sizes? they look smaller, but make 380rwkw on a 2.7l @ 18psi, (taken from a mag comparing turbos) i want it very responsive, when does a rb20det reach about 12psi boost?

Using 2 x RB20DET turbo's I would expect to be all in by at least 4000rpm.

I have one on the rb30det at the moment, using 9psi it made 176rwkw.

An RB20DET reaches 12psi by 3000rpm or there abouts.

The rb20det turbo on the rb30det I find will boost up to 12psi or so by 1700rpm. The probably is it doesn't go anywhere at the afr's state its leaning out. I suspect the stock N/A RB25 cams have too much overlap (8degree's) and the boost is simply being blown out of the exhaust at such low rpm.

At ~2000rpm it kicks hard makes 100rwkw and accelerates well. under 2000rpm with more than 6psi tends to feel like a flat spot. As I said.. I suspect the overlap is causing this problem.

I would think in twin form they will make probably a max of 550hp.

Edited by Cubes

o ok 4000rpm seams quite laggy, i have heard that 3L supras can spool a t78 greddy buy then, which at this stage is a more expensive but bettr option, any options on lag fro a t78 on a 3L? or anyone who had done the twin rb20det turbo conversion?

if u get 12psi buy 1700 on your 3l

wouldnt the both be 12psi at around 3400rpm?? 2x 1700 (twice the air flow)

With parallel twins you need to work on the exhaust flow rate of half the number of cylinders ie 3 cylinder 1300cc for each turbo because thats what feeds them .

Maybe you should consider the two RB20 Hitachi cartridges in the original RB 26's turbo housings and manifolds , at least it should then bolt together and look a bit more um .... functional .

Cheers A .

actually 1500cc each as its a 3l not a 2.6, do u think the exh housings will be too big for 1500 cc? i dont like the std low mount setups, and this manifold is already made,

also madiding turbos is expensive, a std oem 16v turbo is less than $100, thats why i tink them would be a good option,

i may be forced to use twin 45v vg30 turbos, as the supplier for the 2l turbo is being a ass, and wanting $250 each for them now, and i have vg30 ones 45v (similar to r33 rb25 turbos)

i have used a single vg30 turbo on rb30et & rb30dets before

they both started to spool at 900rpm (in 5th gear) and were at 10psi buy 2000rpm, with that in mind would 2x vg30 tubos start to spool at 1800rpm (900rm x2 or twice the airflow) and be at 10psi at 4000rpm??? is that to laggy for drifting? i think it could rev to 8000rpm (RB26 head)

what simiar twin turbo uprgrade on gtrs' have .63 .68 exh houings?

td05 td06?

hks/garret?

any better preduction on lag or spool times?

If you were to rev the sucker hard I would most definitely look at replacing the harmonic balancer with an ati one for example.

Otherwise.. good bye oil pump, bearings etc..

The VLT blokes have issues with their harmonic balancers up around the 6500rpm mark, broken oil pumps etc.

The import det harmonic balancers tend to have issues up around the 7500rpm mark. I'm not willing to find out though. :D

Edited by Cubes

i have the pully covered, a power entiprise alloy crank pully, jun style oil pump sleve and a r32 gtr oil pump, s15 tubros will sting me, im on a buget, so if i have to pay $500 each for them i may iswell get greddy td05's