SAU Community

Power Steering Noises When Turning

gel

Hi guys. Hope you can help.

The power steering on my R33 GTST started to make whining noises when turning the steering wheel. I've checked for leaks and the power steering fluid is at the right level.

I took it to my mechanic and he has tightened the belt on the tensioner. He said the belt was still in good condition and not due for replacement. It was actually better for a day or so but now has gotten worse. The whining noise has gotten louder and now there is a sort of metallic scraping noise at very low or stand still speeds. All these noises are when the steering wheel is being turned and not when driving is a straight line.

But when the car warms up the noises is more sub-dued only really loud when cold.

What am I missing?? Pump on it's way out?? I hope not!

Just had the powersteering fixed on my R33. Sounds like the same symptoms. My mechanic flushed the fluid out (reckoned it was contaminated) and replaced the spring in the relief valve. Quiet as a church mouse now. Was thinking new a new pump was on the horizon but as usual turned out to be the little things...

Damian

Took mine to the mechanic and just by hearing it..he knows exactly what's wrong -- he showed me an Additives and told me to get them from Aussie Auto Warehouse -- cost $17 i think -- poured them into my power steering reservoir and WALA-- noise is gone.

its called LUCAS stop leak for power steering.

no more squeeking noise.

Took mine to the mechanic and just by hearing it..he knows exactly what's wrong -- he showed me an Additives and told me to get them from Aussie Auto Warehouse -- cost $17 i think -- poured them into my power steering reservoir and WALA-- noise is gone.

no more squeeking noise.

Nismo can you please change your avatar before you get ppl who access these forums from work in the shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my my car fixed over the weekend.

Yup, as what Dman said... the power steering fluid was contiminated and heaps of air bubbles in the system. The fluid actually looked healthy in the resovior (green in colour) but when it was drained out, it was near black.

Flushed and filled with new fluid and noise gone...!

• 2 years later...
Hm, my daughters R33 has the same problem, any quick tips which fluid to buy?

(like need special sort maybe?)

I guess I could ask my mechanic to do it but he'll charge like he always does..

i have the same problem

no more squeeking noise.

im gonna try this one if it doesnt work im takin it to a mechanic

Awesome revival.

Just like most additives, IMO, they are a temp fix for ppl wanting to SELL the car...(coolant stop leaks, tappet quietener etc) - not for enthusiasts.

My car made some awful noises as well, though it was loosing fluid.

Degrease pump, reservoir and lines, and look for leaks. If found, fix, flush and refill.

Awesome revival.

Just like most additives, IMO, they are a temp fix for ppl wanting to SELL the car...(coolant stop leaks, tappet quietener etc) - not for enthusiasts.

My car made some awful noises as well, though it was loosing fluid.

Degrease pump, reservoir and lines, and look for leaks. If found, fix, flush and refill.

+1 with GeeTR

ok i bought the lucas stop leak thing i put in and it did NOT work! best bet is to take it to mechanic.

Edited by 5hu7o