SAU Community

Noises From Transmission/somewhere

AlexCim

So today i went somewhere to get something, and i was sitting on a hill in D.

I wanted to try and find a house and i thought it may have been behind me. I forgot the car was in D but i let my foot off the brake, the car started to slowly roll backwards and then it gathered like a good 15km/h or so.

Then, thinking i am putting the car in R (please dont ask how i managed such a big screw up), i put it in 2.... i rolled for a bit more and then the car stalled!

I put it in park, turned it on and then found the house i needed and parked.

The first time i stopped, i was in D and had the brake fully on. The car was making a woo woo woo woo woo noise at a period of about three woo per second.

Then i put it in N and revved it and it didnt make the noise...

So then i got a friend to put it in D and push the brake and i listened in the engine bay. Thinking it may have been my new timing belt i listened in that area, but it sounded like it was coming from the turbo. Then when i listended to the turbo it sounded liek it was from else where...

Anyway, so i concluded that my auto box is on its way out and i screwed up a gear or something and that i should take it easy.

BUT, the plot thickens. This happend this morning at 11am, since then i drove another 100km and now, i noticed the woo woo also happends like, between gear changes... BUT, now if i am in N and i rev the car at exactly 2500RPM +/- 500RPM, i can get a similar belt rubbing noise? So i am thinking the woo woo between changes is due to the 2500RPM thing

Anyway, anyone got any ideas? I just got my timing belt replaced by a reputable workshop around here, i just hope it isnt rubbing on the cam cover, can i inspect this somehow myself? I dont care if my auto box is on its way out, because i am converting to manual really soon anyway, but i need to be semi certain it will hold up at least you know, another few weeks...

If i just replaced the auto box for another auto, cheap stand in for now, what box would i need to buy?

Thanks for any input fellas,

Alex (worried)

Edited by AlexCim

Oh also, the car still holds fine to redline, with no hesitation.

Doesnt seem to be down on power either and the noise goes away above 3,000RPM, on the spot and on the road. (id think the sound from a timing belt rubbing would get worse?)

The hill was relativly steep, probably a good 20 degree incline

But regardless, i think i just found out my stagea has ~120,000 on the clock, not ~70,000 that it had when it came from japan...based on a service sticked i found on the door, gotta get it translated..

Anyway, ill keep everyone posted with my manal converson

I don't think its anything to worry about. My mate is a mechanic and he replaced the timing belt on my Stagea around 2-3 months ago and it starting making that noise straight away. He reckons it is the newer type timing belts and this is usual for them (I can't be sure, but I think he said something about an increased amount of carbon or something that they are putting in the newer belts). He had a S2 R33 and he says it made the same noise after he put a new timing belt in that too and that it goes away after the belt wears in a bit.

Anyway, I just drove my Stagea from Darwin to Melbourne and back. I sat on around 150-160 kph most of the way between Darwin and the SA border, there and back and covered about 12,000 kilometres on the whole trip. Its still making that noise but it didn't give me any problems at all and still hasn't.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Cheers ..... Craig

Yeh, i get a definate noise from the engine at about 1750RPM, but i also get a noise from the transmission...

Whatever, manual conversion is all being organized now, should be all done with soon even if something is wrong or not :)

But thanks for that info actually, it did put my mind at easy a bit (about one noise at least)

I don't think its anything to worry about. My mate is a mechanic and he replaced the timing belt on my Stagea around 2-3 months ago and it starting making that noise straight away. He reckons it is the newer type timing belts and this is usual for them (I can't be sure, but I think he said something about an increased amount of carbon or something that they are putting in the newer belts). He had a S2 R33 and he says it made the same noise after he put a new timing belt in that too and that it goes away after the belt wears in a bit.

Anyway, I just drove my Stagea from Darwin to Melbourne and back. I sat on around 150-160 kph most of the way between Darwin and the SA border, there and back and covered about 12,000 kilometres on the whole trip. Its still making that noise but it didn't give me any problems at all and still hasn't.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Cheers ..... Craig

Sorry to hijack thread but craig how much did it cost you in fuel to Melbourne as I am thinking about driving to Brissy in the new year.

Cheers ICE

Sorry to hijack thread but craig how much did it cost you in fuel to Melbourne as I am thinking about driving to Brissy in the new year.

Cheers ICE

No worries Shane,

I didn't keep a real accurate record, but I'd say that I spent about $1K on fuel just for the trip down and back ie. $500 each way.

One thing I did notice though, is that when I was doing country driving down there, ie. up to Falls Creek etc., I was getting around 550-600 km out of a full tank. Must have been a combination of the colder, thicker air and the fmic I think.

Anyway, I was going to give u a call over the next couple of days, cos' I've got the same problems with my tyres and the camber that you had. Talk to u soon.

Cheers .... Craig

This might sound stupid, but where is the trans fluid on the stagea? I see the atessa fluid bottle, but where is the trans?

Or, is attessa the trans??

Photos if possible..

hey alex, not thats for the tranfer case ONLY which is the rear half of the gearbox, and the gearbox auto fluid is totally seperate. just a note that the fluid bottle in the boot is totally seperate fluid to the actual transfer case, and it only is used to push the actuator on the back of the gearbox (same as a clutch slave cylinder pretty much) which presses a large arm onto the tranfer case clutches to activate the front wheels.

if i remember rightly so, auto dipstick is on drivers side behind the plenum next to firewall (i think thats right as i got rid of the auto before i had to check the fluid ;) )

also have the engine running while u check the auto trans fluid level :)

good luck

Brad

Edited by StageZilla

There is no transmission fluid bottle, that's a power steering reservoir. The transmission fluid is held in the gearbox, just like the engine oil is held in the sump. The dip stick for the auto trans is at the firewall almost directly behind the inlet cam cover. You check it with the engine running (not stopped like engine oil). In the picture, it is down almost directly the convoluted wire insulator behind the inlet cam cover. It is a redish plastic ring, lift it up and the dip stick will come with it.

Timing_Light_Connection.jpg

Hope that helps

:D Cheers :P