SAU Community

Why Is My Amp Being Ghey!

Topaz

I just finished installing my amps and wiring in my car and now the bloddy thing is having problems! :P

My 4 channel amp is only producing the right amount of power from channel 2. At first it was working fine and the all of a sudden the left speaker dropped in sound, still had sound just lower volume....I turned the car off an on again and the same thing happened....sound for a bit then I turned the volume up a bit and the sound dropped down again!

So now I'm thinking WTF, I have wired it wrong, but no I swapped cables on the amp and both speakers work perfectly fine coming from channel 2, just the other channels are really quite compared to it.

So at the mo I have it balanced to the left. But when I was messing about with that setup the speaker started crackling and the volume was trying to kick back in again. I gave the speaker a shake and it was doing it more.

WTF is wrong here?

cheers

Tom

I'd recommend checking your earth. In my experience that seems to be the first port of call for whacky issues... before you start thinking about faulty amp or speakers or something.

The earth connection to the body of the car needs to have good, solid metal to metal contact. ie. take a bit of sand paper and scrap off the paint where the earth-bolt-loop-washer thing will be contacting the car body.

I checked the crossover parts of the splits speakers inside the door and the terminals were a bit rusted from the rain water getting in!

So I gave them a quick once over with sand paper and it seems to be much better...

now my fronts are correct voume and the rears are a lower volume :rolleyes:, oh well....