SAU Community

Hello - Quick Newbie Questions!

amfony

hello,

like the title says im all newb,

3 questions.

1.) What is a 'dump pipe' in the scheme of forced induction systems?

2.) The use of extractors in forced induction systems? Worthwhile? Only with full exhaust system? whats the deal there.

3.) And i am in the process of purchasing a full exhaust system, but i 'assume' i need somehow alter the back bar to allow the tip to not be dragging on the floor. Can this be done at the same place where i am gettin the exhaust installed? does this need to be done at a fibreglass place?

Please educate me! thank you everyone.

FYI - i am a relative newbie to performance and modification, i have a r33 95 gts-25t which i had for a year, but am only recently pulling my finger out and doing something worthwhile.

Thanks again!

well firstly, a dump pipe will allow the turbo to spool up a little quicker and let the exhaust system breath better up top. A split dump pipe is the way togo so. You will also need a highflo cat to match your exhaust system if your going for a perfomance upgrade. Otherwise the standard compliance cat will be severly restricting things and it will be little use upgrading the whole system. You wont need to modify your rear bar at all. Depends on the type of tip you end up getting also. Note, it is actually illegal to have your exhaust pointing out on an angle. Although most have it on a slight angle. BUt still depends on the tip.

I would just leave the manifold standard. A waste of money unless your chasing massive amounts of power, which it sounds like your only after slightly more power than you have now.

Contact BATMBL on these forums, well i think thats it, and he can help you out with a dump pipe and cat.

There are a heap of cat bat exhausts to get also. Or get a custom one made up.

Good luck

well in respect to the exhaust and high flo cat its a package system, so i assume it would be a high flocat or is this not the case.

This package is from justjap.com (kirawee Sydney)

http://www.justjap.com/parts_nexhaust.htm

And the one im getting hopefully is the 950$ stainless 3inch turbo back.

Thits will be the first thing performance wise i do to my car - make sense to do so?

exhaust is always a good starting point. The next thing you should do is get a highflo k & n panel filter and stick it in your airbox.

After that, its the intercooler, then a little bit of boost via some sort of boost controller. u can get a boost controller here in the for sale section for about $30 i think for a manual one. 10 - 11 psi wld be the best range to have it on after performing the exhaust, filter and intercooler upgrades. You can get most parts here, in group buys or the for sale section, have a shop around before u pay ur hard earned cash over

well in respect to the exhaust and high flo cat its a package system, so i assume it would be a high flocat or is this not the case.

This package is from justjap.com (kirawee Sydney)

http://www.justjap.com/parts_nexhaust.htm

And the one im getting hopefully is the 950$ stainless 3inch turbo back.

Thits will be the first thing performance wise i do to my car - make sense to do so?

A mild steel system will be sufficient as the power gain difference with the stainless one is minimal. I actually have a mild steel X-force system on mine, works great and gives good gain 20+rwkw. Get the mild steel and save money for other mods that give better gains.

i was more under the impression that the mild steel was susceptible to rust through, while stainless is by nature, rust proof.

Also (while minimal) the expansion and contraction of stainless (or lack of) is also a good point over mild steel.

Thoughts? Or pretty much is everything ok - besides titanium which is hecktik! haha