SAU Community

Claims With Just Car Insurance

harryg

Yeh , fortunatley i never had to make a claim but we all know its just a matter of time with our type of cars.

Well i got my skylines 1 yr ago, unmodified at all, at 19 years, gts-25t r33 and it cost me $4080

this year $3500, i want to whack on exhaust and pod and panel filters - talked to them about and they said that my preium would go up $100 approx.

so not too bad, not great. But they are THE ONLY place i was able to find inusreance with, i dont mean i found another place and justcar was cheaper, i mean they are the ONLY ppl who do under 25 turbo.

As far as i know ofcourse ...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please clarify a couple of things (someone who actually *knows* not thinks!..

If there are illegal modifications on the vehicle, if they are listed on a policy can they refuse a claim? What if they are not listed on the policy but say someone is killed and the cops are brought to the scene? (worst case scenario) or the car is just generally given the go over and theres no chance of taking off any mods prior that may be on the vehicle.

Some common things such as aftermarket exhaust, SAFC, Boost controllers, turbo timers, pod filters, intercoolers, brake upgrades, body kits/mods, suspension, too low.. whatever else. What would happen if any of these were on the car and found?

From what I understand, turbo timers are not illegal but its illegal to be more than 3m away from a running car/leave unattended etc.

I wouldn't think intercoolers or pod filters (unless unboxed) would be an insurance worry.. but things like an SAFC might present a problem.

Other things like say.. bodykits or something that don't really affect too much but may still be illegal.. what about them? You may not want to insure it but do you still need to disclose it and will it affect the policy/claim?

You would think disclosing an illegal modification would mean an immediate cancellation of policy BEFORE you have an accident but of course thats never the case.

I don't see any point ringing VICRoads or insurance companies with these questions as you are always given a different answer.

I should just get a job with Shannons/whatever and find out the real answers! It would be nice if someone was already doing that though :O

It's such a grey area for the average person, any real help appreciated greatly. (tried searching, couldn't find anything specifically helpful)

~Kaz

*yay I wrote a novel! ^

Edited by Kaz180

maybe because there commercials and advertising concentrates on the best deals for younger drivers with imports. why would such a great company charge a 21 year old $5,500 for insurance per year??? As an above post said they only care about themselves and see people like us as easy targets. i have had 3 estimates from them for 3 totally different cars and the people have been rude and not willing to negotiate. i just hate dealing with them and every one of their ads makes me angry

No offence mate but i think $5500 for comprehensive insurance on an R33 gtr for a 21 year old is good value.

And of course they arent willing to negotiate, why would they? Your insurance premium is worked out by using a formula, that includes things like your age, your insurance history, your no claim bonus, the cost and type of car, where you live, whether the car is garaged, how many mods etc etc...

evan if its listed on your policy they can still refuse it if its illegal.

I had the same discussion with just cars a few weeks ago, i asked them how they can take my money for extra modifications and then leave the car completly uninsured.

They said to me "its your responsibility to make sure the car/mods is legal"

Was interesting actualy though... the boost controller was on the policy, and i rang them and told them about the safc2... then the next time i rang up.. the safc wasnt evan in the policy it was just a "side note"...

Either way though if its on the policy and illegal it still makes the car uninsured :-(

Can someone please clarify a couple of things (someone who actually *knows* not thinks!..

If there are illegal modifications on the vehicle, if they are listed on a policy can they refuse a claim? What if they are not listed on the policy but say someone is killed and the cops are brought to the scene? (worst case scenario) or the car is just generally given the go over and theres no chance of taking off any mods prior that may be on the vehicle.

Some common things such as aftermarket exhaust, SAFC, Boost controllers, turbo timers, pod filters, intercoolers, brake upgrades, body kits/mods, suspension, too low.. whatever else. What would happen if any of these were on the car and found?

From what I understand, turbo timers are not illegal but its illegal to be more than 3m away from a running car/leave unattended etc.

I wouldn't think intercoolers or pod filters (unless unboxed) would be an insurance worry.. but things like an SAFC might present a problem.

Other things like say.. bodykits or something that don't really affect too much but may still be illegal.. what about them? You may not want to insure it but do you still need to disclose it and will it affect the policy/claim?

You would think disclosing an illegal modification would mean an immediate cancellation of policy BEFORE you have an accident but of course thats never the case.

I don't see any point ringing VICRoads or insurance companies with these questions as you are always given a different answer.

I should just get a job with Shannons/whatever and find out the real answers! It would be nice if someone was already doing that though :)

It's such a grey area for the average person, any real help appreciated greatly. (tried searching, couldn't find anything specifically helpful)

~Kaz

*yay I wrote a novel! ^

No offence mate but i think $5500 for comprehensive insurance on an R33 gtr for a 21 year old is good value.

And of course they arent willing to negotiate, why would they? Your insurance premium is worked out by using a formula, that includes things like your age, your insurance history, your no claim bonus, the cost and type of car, where you live, whether the car is garaged, how many mods etc etc...

no offence taken rhett. this quote was when i had my r32 gtst. i know what insurance includes. how does just cars justify charging me $5500 when i had insurance from famous for $2800 full comprehensive????

KAZ180, i think as long as ur mod did not cause the accident, they should still cover whatever was listed on the policy.(at least i confirmed it with RACQ)

but things like boost controller or turbo upgrade are dangeous these days when it comes to insurance.

i cant see the problem of having BOV or pod filter coz they dont do nothing. same goes to bodykits or big rims(legal ones).

no offence taken rhett. this quote was when i had my r32 gtst. i know what insurance includes. how does just cars justify charging me $5500 when i had insurance from famous for $2800 full comprehensive????

doesnt famous require 0 mods, where as just cars lets you mod with no limit other than the law...

KAZ180, i think as long as ur mod did not cause the accident, they should still cover whatever was listed on the policy.(at least i confirmed it with RACQ)

but things like boost controller or turbo upgrade are dangeous these days when it comes to insurance.

i cant see the problem of having BOV or pod filter coz they dont do nothing. same goes to bodykits or big rims(legal ones).

yeah but if they are trying to get out of paying, they can use any of those things...if they are illegal, they have the legal right to not pay a cent, as they'll say your car was not insured because of those mods. .. its extremely tight, and pretty much wrong, but they can do it within the law

doesnt famous require 0 mods, where as just cars lets you mod with no limit other than the law...

nope unlimited mods. i had front mount exhaust, 19 inch rims and more. nothing was questioned and premium or excess didnt go up. best company to deal with i reckon.

Hey sorry didnt realise.

Thats strange, famous couldnt match my just cars quote when i first got my r32 gtst - $1700, rating 3, 21 years old. full comp.

Hey sorry didnt realise.

Thats strange, famous couldnt match my just cars quote when i first got my r32 gtst - $1700, rating 3, 21 years old. full comp.

i wish my insurance was $1700. now it would be but not then. one of the reasons i got rid of it. high insurance payments. once i decide which gtr to buy i will start hunting for prices and will keep you informed.

i wish my insurance was $1700. now it would be but not then. one of the reasons i got rid of it. high insurance payments. once i decide which gtr to buy i will start hunting for prices and will keep you informed.

Well im 23 now and rating 1, paying $900 a year with just cars.

maybe to you it doesnt Pie. but what about the extra modifications that you have wasted your money on?? there is more to it then just thinking like that. A car to an enthusiast is worth more then 15k to an owner. He or She would do anything to try and keep it safe

If you have a modified car and are worried about insurance get it engineered and register the engineers certificate with the RTA.

This will make all modifications listed legal, as pretty much any modification is illegal with out an engineers certificate

The RB25det has an electronic boost controller as standard. the RB20DET's didnt come with one.

Would that still be legal for me to get an aftermarket EBC but use the factory solenoid? Hmm.