SAU Community

Are Coilovers Legal In Wa ?

whitesky

Hey all, does anyone know if coilovers are legal in WA ?

My car got knocked back at the pits for being too low ( very low springs on standard susp ) and i might chuck some coilovers in it to give me adjustability.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

they are legal.

i have known the pits to question the spring rate so as long as thats ok then your fine. most decent coilies you can adjust this anyway....

Edited by _8OO5TED_

thanks for the quick reply, good to know. Now i just need to make the decision, are they gonna be too stiff on the road and uneven surfaces ? I plan to do some events at AHG and wanneroo, but i dont want my teeth to fall out on the way :P

Height adjustability is what is swaying me.

well when i say they are legal, i mean i dont know anyone who has been told to remove their coilovers because they are illegal. if they are too stiff then the pits may tell you to change them thats all.

my Tein HA's failed the pits for being too stiff. Height was ok but the actual spring rate was too stiff - dampers were adjusted to the softest setting..

I guess it all depends who you get !

Edited by confuzion

yep, seems like you are in tha hands of the ods when you go over. Maybe my car would have passed if my inspector got lucky the night before !

Tein HA's are what i was considering. Hows the ride with them guys ? Still got all your teeth ? I wont be doing any country stuff so i think they will be ok for me.

Speaking of suspension what is with the prices of lowering a car in Perth? I wanna get my gf's car lowered (Lowering my car would be a waste of time coz you cant improve on the perfect handling of a stock charade).

On my call arounds I've had quotes from 500 up to 700+ dollars just for a set of kings or whatever and an install. (Pedders you should be ashamed of yourself $700!!!)

OK a set of king springs will cost about 200 bucks and its probly about a two hour job to do all four (mcpherson setup). And OK they may factor in a wheel allignment once the springs are settled.

Back In sydney I use to get lowering for 300 bucks using lovells or kings and even pedders charged $390. When I got the springs installed on my old 'line (which ofcourse is more difficult because u have to pull out the back seat etc) it was $80 for just fitting.

Is it just me or is Perth still small enough that there is no competition and anyone who deals in the "aftermarket" thinks they can print their own money like these morons that think rebuilding a turbo is an "art form" so charge movie star rates to do so.

So re-phrasing my question where can I lower a car for not a lot of money?

Is it just me or is Perth still small enough that there is no competition and anyone who deals in the "aftermarket" thinks they can print their own money like these morons that think rebuilding a turbo is an "art form" so charge movie star rates to do so.

Meh, it's just the culture here... pay alot for not much. Guys wanna profit by doing as little as possible, that means offering some services that aren't labour intensive and still charging a bomb. The trouble is people just accept it here and don't vote with their wallets... mind you I don't see many alternatives? What can you do? Open your own cut price machanical shop? Hmmmm... thats got me thinking...

Have you tried Wilkinsons Suspension Center? They deal with King springs (plug for Brett... haha :) )