SAU Community

New Brands vs Legacy Brands Coilover Opinions

I'm looking to replace some old Tein and Apexi coilovers that were on my GTR. I was planning on getting either Nitron R3 or Ohlins R/T. Mostly Street use w/ some club sprints.

With all the new brand out these days what are some of the highly regarded ones? Would you choose a newer brand over the JDM/legacy brands?

• SLVRBAKSLPZ changed the title to New Brands vs Legacy Brands Coilover Opinions

Well, like tyres, when it comes to suspension (shocks in particular), a good brand will have a range of options at different price points, so there's no point talking about a brand overall.

Noting you are not in Aus so availability might be different, I would go:

cheap - BC racing

medium - Bilstein B6 with adjustable circlip grooves (this is what I run on my race/rally car)

serious - MCA Gold

And yes, none of them are japanese....for Australian roads the japanese spring (and therefore shock) rates are almost always too high to be comfortable. There were some local companies modifying Teins with good outcomes but I don't think they are available any more

• Like 1

^^Ditto. At least for Australia. They'd still be reasonably priced, shipped across the world, when viewed from an "I own US$ and want to buy something priced in AU$" perspective.

There are obviously other brands in the northern hemishpere that would be equivalent to what our good locals can do. KW in Europe, frigzample.

I would be willing to bet you could count the number of people in Australia who have Nitron could be counted on one hand. Ditto Ohlins, except for the motorbike and motorsport world. Almost none on street cars would be my bet.

• Like 1

I am on the MCA bandwagon. 
I have purples in the street car- 2015 Spec X-R, Reds in one track car and Golds in the other.

Their Purple or Performance coilover is best for street cars that see the odd track day. Everything above that is Track only.
The way they ride and take bumps in the road is amazing, have done over 3200km in one road trip without a complaint. Rides nicer than my 2019 370z

• Like 1

I found out about MCA last night. I didnt realized how long theyve been around.

After looking I think Im leaning towards Shockworks. Just recently found more info about the company. I like the owners model of building to specific setups as a norm. plus theyre a smaller business which I tend to support when I can.

I find myself buying more/more parts from Australian companies. Japan just aint doing it these days. You Aussies have been diligent with motorsports advancements.

Thanks for the comments

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Their Purple or Performance coilover is best for street cars that see the odd track day. Everything above that is Track only.
The way they ride and take bumps in the road is amazing, have done over 3200km in one road trip without a complaint. Rides nicer than my 2019 370z

Which ones are their purple ones? Pro Comfort? This is the one thing that bugs me about MCA. Whenever people talk about them I find it difficult to translate different model names to their current lineup. Not sure if they keep changing it or if I'm just dense.

According to the paperwork mine are MCA Street Essentials. I presume that's Pro Comfort these days but don't know for sure.

• Like 1

Purple in 2015 were custom built at 3 levels comfort, race and drift. So pro sport now

Essentially blues with red valving. 

Yeah pro comfort be street essentials. If needing a change talk with them as can revalve to suit changes. They changed marketing a lot, Josh seems to be marketing more broadly now and more to the average consumer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Yeah pro comfort be street essentials. If needing a change talk with them as can revalve to suit changes. They changed marketing a lot, Josh seems to be marketing more broadly now and more to the average consumer.

Makes sense, thanks! I wish them all the best because the coilovers are great. Super happy with the Pro Comforts on the wagon. Forgiving enough to transport the aging in-laws but still feel good in the twisties. At least at the level that I'm driving. YMMV.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yeah, I'd go Pro Sport, but I've never heard anyone complain about the more street oriented level of their gear.

Hah, OP is driving a GTR after all. I doubt it'll have the (grand)parentals squeezed in the back to drive out for lunch :D

• 5 weeks later...