SAU Community

Anyone running Ohlin coilovers?

7 hours ago, kevboost7 said:

What coilovers are you guys running?

When you say "coilovers", are you referring explicitly to proper small spring diameter adjustable coilovers, or "any suspension unit that fits in the same spot"? Because the latter includes things like stock springs on aftermarket dampers, or aftermarket springs on aftermarket dampers.

"Coilovers" is usually expressly reserved for small diameter spring adjustable suspension units. The amount of "adjustment" available is a wide variable, but minimally here we'd be talking about height adjustment.

Anyone saying they have Bilstein based suspension, like me for example, cannot really say that they have "coilovers". My springs are stock format and could be retrofitted back onto stock dampers. Can't do that with coilover springs.

haha that might be a little hair splity, because literally all R chassis skyline have the coil over the shock.

FWIW, both my Bilstein cars have been converted to adjustable spring heights using a circlip groove machined into the shock body which supports an adjustable height spring seat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

FWIW, both my Bilstein cars have been converted to adjustable spring heights using a circlip groove machined into the shock body which supports an adjustable height spring seat

No, they come with the grooves. He just added 1 - 2 more of them.

49 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I know it's getting off track, but I mean the circlip groove holds up a threaded sleeve to adjust the spring seat height.

Yes. Same same. I'd have to dig through my comms with Gary to find the detail, but obviously enough they need at least 1 circlip groove to hold the perch up, and they have at least 2, and Garry just adds (or added, to keep the tense correct) some more.

Edited by GTSBoy

On 6/28/2023 at 4:23 PM, Duncan said:

I know it's getting off track, but I mean the circlip groove holds up a threaded sleeve to adjust the spring seat height. Not a great pic but you can kind of see the setup

underneath-front.jpg

I know what you're talking about. I installed a set of bilsteins front shocks on my F-150 truck. I was so surprised when i read the instructions that the tiny circlip could support the weight of my 5000-6000lb pick up truck. 

The Bilsteins are not adjustable so they don't give you any opportunity to tune the damping for track conditions. This is for a race application, not a road car. They'd be a pretty decent set of road dampers I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Been running Ohlins DFV since 2010 and they haven't skipped a beat. The ride is pretty smooth, currently set on soft for daily driving.