SAU Community

Radar Detector! Is It Reali Illegal In Aus?

vcool

If your driving in a group of 10 cars and the patrol car goes the other way and detects it, he will more than likely turn around and pull over every car where it came from

this is true.....my dad got pulled over and accused of having one - they eventually found it in another car who was travelling near him.

sat nav units have all the locations of the fixed ones and make a noise when you're about to come up to one....it's great for me when i drive in sydney cos i often dont see the sign or i forget where they are. I know you can still get done by the non-fixed ones, but its better than nothing and it's LEGAL :unsure:

Trust me champ everyone says they can't be detected but they can if they are on.

If your driving in a group of 10 cars and the patrol car goes the other way and detects it, he will more than likely turn around and pull over every car where it came from

Yes they no longer advetise the detectors as undetectable.

http://www.beltronicspro.com/

http://www.radars.com.au/

I find the undies are the best place for the detector as the ladies dig them.

And as i sayed earlier they are a waist of money now days with LIDAR guns. A jammer would be you best bet or even better just dont speed :)

What i'm saying is when you are driving and it detects the radar signal and you turn it off, the police detector will know that there was one in use. If you have it permantly off then obviously you will get away with it.

If you don't let them search the car it will be impounded, and it will be an expensive time for you, simple. If you let them search it, and they can't find it, then you might be lucky and get let off, but their job is to impound the car on the spot.

Trust me champ everyone says they can't be detected but they can if they are on.

just thinking about buying this detector:bel pro rx65, it seems to be the lastest product but this is still gonna be detected by anti radar?

Yeah they can still pick you up. They just need to be closer to you with the better ones.

If you pick up a radar slow down and turn the device off to be sure. Make a little switch near your steering wheel so you can easily kill the power.

hey kero old mate....

I have an "old" 955sti BEL but hasn't seen some use in quite a while... it worked very well for years and years!

the only time we got caught was doing xxxxkph with said laser gun in the middle section of the freeway... at 3am!

girl snapped us at pretty low range, as this was in an RX7 testing for targa! :P

anyhow got done for 140, but ABS does a wonderful thing from a top end haul!!

she was very confused as to why the number was so slow, and secondly the glow from under the car as it idled away madly...

I think the male cop knew what the story was, and was grinning too!

so....

where do you get a LIDAR jammer? Im off to the states next week, and might pick one up?

yeah mine was a BEL 855 (or something like that) - have not seen it since fatz got busted with it. It payed for its self many times over (was $600 at the time).

I actually got busted speed because of the damn thing. Cars were flashing their lights going the other way and i thought id be a smart ass and speed up as the detector was not going off yet... damn LIDAR!! :)

The place in WA (web link above) should be able to get the jammers. Email them and they will give you details. Its pretty expensive gear :D

it's great for me when i drive in sydney cos i often dont see the sign or i forget where they are.  I know you can still get done by the non-fixed ones,

But, they're legally required to have 3 warning signs before any fixed speed camera.

How much attention do you pay when you're driving if you can miss 3 big, f**k off, signs warning you that there's a speed camera ahead and reminding you of the speed limit?

I cannot believe the missinformation being stated here about radar detectors.

Yes they are illegal, but ONLY if they are found.

The police can search your car, but only for a resonable amount of time and cannot dismantle anything. If you have a consealed detector that is not visable, they will not be able to do anything unless you admit to having it.

Detector Detectors CANNOT pick up a switched off unit, no matter how close they are. RDD's false alarm all the time, so cops only use them on the highways. They can detect and active unit from about 400m, but cannot know the direction or car its in unless you are the only one around.

Never give cops permission to search your car no matter what, they do have a right to search under the probable cause law, but they must give you a valid reason as to why they are searching. They can also search you thanks to the new consealed weapons law.

LIDAR (Laser) jammers are the best investment you can get aside from the normal consealed radar detector.

The Blinder M-20 or the Lidatek LE30 are the current units of choice. There are some newer units abouts to hit the market, but the above 2 have been proven.

As others have mentioned the best way to avoid speeding tickets is not to speed, but if you choose to use technology, know your rights.

If you have a video in your mobile, I suggest you start recording as soon as you get pulled over. Cops tend to lie to justify their actions.

Edited by 4DoorGTR

I cannot believe the missinformation being stated here about radar detectors.

Yes they are illegal, but ONLY if they are found.

I could gruesomely torture you, mutilate your body, have you sexually assaulted by a pack of half-wild dogs before decapitating you.

Yes, it is illegal, but ONLY if I'm found out.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with 4drgtr. Unfortunately with the new laws passed this month the police don't need a reason to search your car anymore (thanks to the cronulla issue). Everyone be aware of this. Don't carry stuff in your car that they won't like to see.

BTW, I have asked a friend of mine here in NSW who has a couple of police officer brothers. He claims the detector detectors were leased a few years ago and the police had dropped them because of the costs involved and due to the small % of offenders. I still beleive this is rthe case. If any reader here has been stopped specifically for having a radar detector speak up now and proove this wrong. I don't mean getting pulled over for something else and the police seeing the thing on your dash either. SPECIFICALLY to stop you after detecting the unit.

Impounding of the vehicle and detecting the unit when it's off is BS. Give me a break. Pulling 10 cars over to find the detector? What the?! Only with 10 police cars - get a grip man!

Also, don't you guys think that jamming a radar will not raise suspicion?

I have one but use it only out in the country on usually on dual carridgways (easy to toss it out the window just in case). My main purpose is to remind me to slow down and check my speed when it beeps sometimes. Usually passing trucks tend to make it beep.

If you have a good install, they will never find it.

In relation to the jammer, LIDAR (laser) jammers are the only devices that can effectivly jam police speed measuring devices. Radar is not easy to jam.

If you want LIDAR protection I would suggest the Blinder x20 or the Lidatek as they are both VERY effective at jamming LIDAR as we have older models of guns that are easy to jam.

Im curious as to how a lidar jammer detects the laser? surely the laser would place a fairly small point on the target, how does the detector catch this before its too late? are the detectors mounted externally somewhere? :) As for radar jamming, just do what the military does, once the the signal is aquired - dump a whole bunch of aluminium foil strips into the air :) ... i suppose then you'd still get done for littering .. haha

Fatz did get done specifically with my dector about 6 years ago. Back then when i bought it it was guaranteed to not be detectable.

They new it was in the car... and gave him the option to give it to them now with a lesser fine.

The cops were over the moon. It was the only one in australia (down near the snow) and they were very excited to actually get some one.

I may have one. It is an undectectable detector. It can be used in my bike leather jacket. It's on my person. Traffic cops don't check on your body. Highway patrol and general duties operate under different laws.It picks up lazer as well as the normal bands.