SAU Community

Radar Detector! Is It Reali Illegal In Aus?

vcool

Just to clarify...YES it is illegal lol

All you really need to do is think about it logically..apart from the obvious revenue raising advantage, radar detectors are designed to reduce speeding related accidents. Why would they condone such a blatant form of abuse? [sorry was the lawyer in me talking :D]

Apparently cops even have radar detector detectors so watch out or loose it in the first place :lol:

it is legal in W.A as long as detecting radar is not it's sole fnction...~~ they call it a safety detector or whatever crap with built in beeping noise or some crap to prevent ppl from dozing off

Wouldn't bother really, nothing but electronic gadgetry designed to give you a false sense of security IMO.

================================

Be honest, you wanna be able to gun it on the highway without any consequences right? :D:D

There's still a high probability you can get booked. & if you do get pulled over, and mr highway patrol officer spots your radar detector, what with all those fancy LEDs and beeping noises, you just try and convince him you were speeding by accident. :D

just a thought.....

Edited by POOMBAH

Its a fine over $1000

What you really need is a jammer. Detectors are useless with the guns and give you very minimal warning with everything else.

Also be very careful down near the snow where the only new radar detector detector is being used (going back a few years now).

Disclaimer: Sau does not condone irresponsible driving nor the use of illegal equipment yada yada :D

Just be mindful of what you post, even if you're kidding. We get all types browsing this forum apparently.

it is legal in W.A as long as detecting radar is not it's sole fnction...~~ they call it a safety detector or whatever crap with built in beeping noise or some crap to prevent ppl from dozing off

I think what you're talking about is a device that warns you when you are approaching a fixed speed camera. Not a mobile police radar. These are perfectly legal in all states.

They also warn you of accident black spots and other crap.

ok yes it is illegal, however i have no idea why it is... in england they are perfectly legal, the police see them as (quote from documentry)"a device that give the driver information", so yeh i dont really get y they are illegal, as by the time they beep and alert u if ur speeding it is most likely too late to slow down anyways.

i also saw a nice piece of equipment which jams cops radar guns, it gives the cop an error message on the gun, meaning they cant read ur speed LOL cant remember wat it is, but comes in handy...

Edited by mass_iv

Detectors are illegal in all states except W.A.

In NSW it is only illegal if they find it or you give it to them, but they cannot remove anything from your car, and not detain you on suspision.

If you have a good install, they will never find it.

In relation to the jammer, LIDAR (laser) jammers are the only devices that can effectivly jam police speed measuring devices. Radar is not easy to jam.

If you want LIDAR protection I would suggest the Blinder x20 or the Lidatek as they are both VERY effective at jamming LIDAR as we have older models of guns that are easy to jam.

Use at your own risk as I believe the fine for jamming the cops is around $10,000...if caught

If you have one in your car and a police detects that you are using one, they can search the car for it. If they cannot find it, the car will be impounded and you will still get the fine and the points. 6+points and 1000+ fine. And that means tow fee, holding yard fee, and taxi home on top of all that. But you might be lucky if you actually admit you have one rather than denying it, as it can be electronically detected easily.

Even the 'undetectable' ones are easily to detect even if you constantly turn it off, so all I can say is, do the speed limit :P

option 0 ........stick to speed limit

opition 1........ pull over and hope they dont find it

option 2 ........admit you have one and hope for the best

option 3...... snap it back a gear and get the f*k outta there.

option 4......... pay the fine again and again

option 5...........dont have one

i suggest number three cause is more fun

Actual wavelength detectors are illegal (aside from WA).

GPS units with "points of interest" are legal. Of course, they're only as good as the marked locations are accurate and up to date, and they won't pick up mobile ones (they do tell you where cops frequently set up though).

If you have one in your car and a police detects that you are using one, they can search the car for it. If they cannot find it, the car will be impounded and you will still get the fine and the points. 6+points and 1000+ fine. And that means tow fee, holding yard fee, and taxi home on top of all that. But you might be lucky if you actually admit you have one rather than denying it, as it can be electronically detected easily.

Even the 'undetectable' ones are easily to detect even if you constantly turn it off, so all I can say is, do the speed limit :huh:

I recon thats crap. They can not detect it when they are off!! They will make you think you can but the devices are passive devices.

Have you been pulled over before? The cops can not search your car. They will pressure you to show you your car.

Radar detector detectors work.

From what I've heard, even though they are passive devices....when they pick up the signal they modify it somewhat (relative to hitting a "normal" object), so the detector detector picks up that change and reports it.

I recon thats crap. They can not detect it when they are off!! They will make you think you can but the devices are passive devices.

Have you been pulled over before? The cops can not search your car. They will pressure you to show you your car.

What i'm saying is when you are driving and it detects the radar signal and you turn it off, the police detector will know that there was one in use. If you have it permantly off then obviously you will get away with it.

If you don't let them search the car it will be impounded, and it will be an expensive time for you, simple. If you let them search it, and they can't find it, then you might be lucky and get let off, but their job is to impound the car on the spot.

Trust me champ everyone says they can't be detected but they can if they are on.

If your driving in a group of 10 cars and the patrol car goes the other way and detects it, he will more than likely turn around and pull over every car where it came from

Edited by GTAHH