SAU Community

Twin Exhaust On Gtr

96GTRman

well if you have to add a cross-over what exactly is the benefit to running a twin exhaust?

would one large pipe not do the same ?

The cross over won't necessarily decrease the volume of your 2 pipes.

In most setups, the crossover point is just a part of those 2 pipes that are joined, and have their connecting wall removed. It doesn't go into one pipe as such. So your total cross sectional area is not decreased, unlike with a single pipe with the same ground clearance.

The performance reason V8s do it is for scavenging, due to the firing order. With the way the exhaust pulses go down the exhaust there are benefits to having your twin pipes linked at one point.

so in short..

increased flow with better clearance.

so there is a reason.

what if your turbos WERE sequentially staged, would there not be greater benefit to running completley seperate systems?

because from a pressure point of view if one turbo is reacting first would that not create an increase in pressure behind that turbo and where the pipes join create back pressure for the second turbo ???

what if your turbos WERE sequentially staged, would there not be greater benefit to running completley seperate systems?

The answer is no, but I'm not sure how to explain it in a pithy manner.

Its going to actually be worse. If you have 2 completely separate exhaust systems (i.e. from the manifold onwards) then you're only getting half the exhaust load for each turbo, so you have to run smaller ones to make it viable, or introduce too much lag (which defeats the purpose of sequential turbos).

The plumbing would be a lot easier than the bypass-ridden setup that people actually use, but you'd only run "identical twin" turbos if you were to have 2 separate systems.

if i had a gtr i would have, custom tbo manifold, dual 3 inch from tbo back no cat or muffler just rear resonator, and a cross over pipe half way

well you have never had a full twin from front pipes(TWIN 3") have you.I confess i did not have X-over pipe you recommed just two rear individual mufflers.Had the RB scream but with a gurgle.It could be heard 3KM away on a warm summers night Just north of Adelaide .keep that in mind "IF YOU HAD A GTR".SYstem for sale(800km old) as now have 90mm titanium.

well I have a twin system on my GTR.... if you search under my name there are a stack of pics, and like yellow GTR man :) it is insane loud but sounds oh so cooool....

oh BTW I have a apexi butterfly valve to shut it up for some people that think 130db is anti social...

:D