SAU Community

What Is Gtr Gearset Worth ?

How much is a brand new genuine nissan R33 GTR gearset worth ?  Desperate to find out.  Includes all 5 gears and all 5 syncros.

I can't tell you exactly other than 'lots', but to upgrade an R32 GTR gearbox to late R33 specs is about $1800 (trade). That involves replacing 3 and 4th gears (note 4th gear is really the input shaft to the gearbox which the clutch drives) complete with new synchros plus the countershaft and some other parts.

OTOH a new R33 gearbox can be had for about $3000, but the transfer case is not included.

I can't tell you exactly other than 'lots', but to upgrade an R32 GTR gearbox to late R33 specs is about $1800 (trade).  That involves replacing 3 and 4th gears (note 4th gear is really the input shaft to the gearbox which the clutch drives) complete with new synchros plus the countershaft and some other parts.

OTOH a new R33 gearbox can be had for about $3000, but the transfer case is not included.

Is that all synchros, or just third and fourth? Any ideas on R32 GT-R prices?

Is that all synchros, or just third and fourth?  Any ideas on R32 GT-R prices?

That's just 3rd and 4th.....many of the original R32 GTR gearbox parts are NLA from Nissan. I haven't checked them all, but certainly the design of 3rd and 4th gears was totally changed and Nissan simply discontinued production of the superceded parts.

i remember Ferni (im sure it was) from vic went to nissan to get a new r33 gearbox and it cost him 5k

I bought the remains of his broken gearbox and used some of the parts to rebuild an R32 GTR gearbox that I couldn't get the original parts for from Nissan (NLA, as I said....). $3K or thereabouts was the figure he quoted from memory. In any event JustJap had brand new R33 GTR gearboxes (less transfer case) for around $3200, although I haven't checked recently.

Well, I bloody well hope I have a clutch problem and not a shagged second synchro then :( I could have sworn I read a post a couple of weeks ago that said reco kits for bearings and synchros were about $400 ea (i.e. about ~800 total), but that might have been for the plain-jane (i.e. not GT-R) R32 box.

Well, I bloody well hope I have a clutch problem and not a shagged second synchro then :(  I could have sworn I read a post a couple of weeks ago that said reco kits for bearings and synchros were about $400 ea (i.e. about ~800 total), but that might have been for the plain-jane (i.e. not GT-R) R32 box.

A complete set of bearings (main and countershaft support) for an R32 GTR gearbox is around the $250 mark. If available, the synchros are about $100 each (ie each gear). I have to ring Nissan parts tomorrow, if I remember I'll ask about 2nd gear.

Well I have all 5 gears and all syncros and bushes and everything associated with a full rebuild. Brand new, all genuine, all still sealed in nissan packaging, and available for sale. Available to be inspected, photos available. All to suit GTR, R33 i think, but may be R32, still waiting on conformation from part numbers.

All for sale, perfect for someone to get a shagged gearbox cheap and rebuild it, or fix a stuffed box in their own GTR.

Well I have all 5 gears and all syncros and bushes and everything associated with a full rebuild. Brand new, all genuine, all still sealed in nissan packaging,  and available for sale.  Available to be inspected, photos available. All to suit GTR, R33 i think, but may be R32, still waiting on conformation from part numbers. 

Depending on when they were bought and from whom, they'll most likely be R33, but it's possibly their NOS R32 GTR. Part numbers will tell

I just checked and JustJap still have new R33 GTR gearboxes listed on their site for $3200:

http://www.justjap.com/parts_ngearbox.htm

That gives you something to think about in terms of what to ask for your parts.

Just to set record straight, i Paid $3250 for my new R33 GTR gearbox from nissan. Its a late model box as well - series 3?

Buttttttt i've had nothing but problems with it.. I'm on my 3rd box now (warrenty) because the first 2 whined like a dogbox, this 3rd one was built and blueprinted from scratch with brand new parts... still not sure if its going to whine... only had a couple of hundred ks on it..

I know someone who had his R33 GTR box rebiult with Series3 internals brand new, cost him over 3.5k.

I know someone who had his R33 GTR box rebiult with Series3 internals brand new, cost him over 3.5k.

According to my contacts at Nissan who have chased this issue right back through to the master parts list in Japan, the only replacement parts available for R32/R33 GTR gearboxes are the 'late' R33 type. The catch is that to put some of those parts in an earlier version of the gearbox requires replacing a bunch of other 'updated' parts, which costs big $$$. For example the original type 3rd gear synchro (and 3rd gear itself) for an R32 GTR gearbox is NLA as far as Nissan is concerned, the 'replacement' is the late R33 type BUT you can't fit it without also replaciing 4th gear (complete) + countershaft + etc, etc......as I said, big $$$.

At this point someone will undoubtedly jump in and say 'your wrong.....I bought the earlier parts, etc, etc'. Well, that's fine, but please give me all the details and I'll pass it to my people at Nissan who will be most interested to hear and chase it. If this is indeed the case I suggest these are probably:

- aftermarket parts (I'd be interested to hear of any suppliers, or

- NOS parts

In any event I'm not surprised to hear that the sum of the cost of individual parts exceeds the cost of a whole gearbox.

Well, I bloody well hope I have a clutch problem and not a shagged second synchro then :D  I could have sworn I read a post a couple of weeks ago that said reco kits for bearings and synchros were about $400 ea (i.e. about ~800 total), but that might have been for the plain-jane (i.e. not GT-R) R32 box.

Well your in luck, 2nd gear synchro is available in Australia and trade price is $69.70 (add $10-$20 for retail). PN is:

32604-30P20

I have a few other parts here that I am not sure what they suit.

Trying to find out what they suit. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Part numbers are as follows.

Gear, 1st Speed 32242-V5205

Gear 2nd Speed 32250-V5205

Gear 3rd Speed 32260-V5200

Hub Synchro 1St 32601-V5202

Hub Synchro 32605-V5201

Sleeve-CPRG 5th 32611-V5210

Bush Main Shaft 32253-V5200

Sleeve - Coupling 32606-58560 (or 58S60)

If anyone has access to nissan listings to help me with these parts that I cant figure out what exact gearbox these are for I would really appreciate it.

This:

Gear 3rd Speed 32260-V5200

does not match the PN for a late R33 GTR mainshaft 3rd gear, which is:

32261-12U14

What you have could be superceded parts, but the thing that bothers me is the 'V5200' piece of the PN which doesn't match my recollection of R33/R32 GTR PN's (for example '05U00' in the PN identifies a unique R32 GTR part). I'm going to have to do some digging in FAST to tie this down.

SteveL - Is there a cheaper alternative to doing a bearing kit through a series 1 r33 gtst box?

I dont wanna have to pay $450ish for a bearing set, if they are available through CBC etc....

Anyone not used genuine bearings for a rebuild before??