SAU Community

boost problems

makaveli

Hi my names Mark,

Just yesterday I had experienced my car having boosting problems. It would rev to 3,500rpm - 4,000rpm and usually you would feel the boost coming on strong. Yesterday it was probably boosting half as much as it should and I am only running the standard 7psi. The boost gauge seemed to be working ok. Although the heat yesterday would have played a part to it as I do not have a front mount cooler.

I waited until later in the nite although it was still a little warm but much cooler than during the day and it still wasn't boosting like it had been previously.

I am lost for ideas, what do you guys think of the problem?

Thanks Mark

Hmmm I think I am experiencing a similar problem... On recently I have noticed that when I put my foot down and the car starts to boost it used to just lauch so to speak, now I can hear what appears to be extra large sucking sounds for a short period then the power jumps in. I don't know if I am being paranoid or not but my boost guage ( standard in dash ) doesnt really seem to begoing as high either..

Is it possible I have a hole in a hose or popped a pipe off or something simple???

The other thing I have noticed also is that my oil gauge used to sit around the 4 mark pretty constantly, now it seems to vary quite often ( under acceleration and such ) between 2 and 6?

I have checked my oil and its not low or anything like that....

MrGTST: Your problem is certainly heat related, take it out late at night and see if you have the same problem (you don’t have a front mount do you). Mark I think I know what’s wrong with your 32 and I replied to the post you made on the UPI forums!

Hmm I think it still happens at night too.... I don't have a front mount yet, but I have one comming from Japan which should be here in a week or two... I am hoping this should fix the problem...

MrGTST,

It sounds like a boost leak to me, when you in the drive way pull the accelerator cable and listen for unusual noises, should highlight where the leak is occuring.

I think the oil gauge measures viscosity, therefore it should be higher when cold, and lower when hot.

See'ya:burnout:

Hmmm thats what I thought..... Thats why I ordered my FMIC... I am hopeing when that is installed it will fix and leaks that I may have now..... I thought that was also a good way to justify buying the intercooler... :)