SAU Community

Ngk Iridium Spark Plugs?

RedEmblem

I don't believe they will destroy the coil packs, but if you have standard coils irridium plugs will make them work harder. For the best performance with these plugs you probably need a set of split-fire coils and have your plugs gapped correctly. i.e. high boost smaller gap around 0.8 to 0.9mm. Standard boost then the 1.1 gap will work ok.

I changed to NGK irridiums about 4 months ago and had nothing but trouble, misfiring, hesitation in the mid rev range. The smaller gap solved the misfiring but the car just never reved the way it used to. This is because my standard coil packs couldn't handle the irridium plugs.

I recently changed my irridiums to NGK copper ®, gapped them at 0.9mm and the car runs like a dream. They will only last about 20-30k depending on how you drive, but for $20.00 for a set of 6 who's complaining.

If you feel that you need the better plug, best to stick with NGK platium. The only problem is they come pre-gapped so you need to order them with your preferred gap.

Paul.

umm, okay. So, should I be overly concerned about this? Does damage usually occur within weeks, or do I have a few months?

Its not really damage that occurs, it's just that they don't work as well. Especially if the coil packs are getting older this doesn't help. Eventually of course a coil pack will die. If you stick with irridums then use splitfire coils, around $800.00.

Paul.

in a good way thats good to know..when I bought my skyline almost 3 months ago, my mate made me buy the iridium plugs. Spend a fortune, then figured it was too much hassle to change them, on account of the ornament and piping covering up the plugs and coils..so they've just been sitting there in my garage for the last 3 months...

Hey can someone please explain why you guys are making the spark smaller??? I dont understand, really it doesnt make sence, well not for me anyway.

I thought the bigger the spark the better the bang?

also matty_tonkin Super cheap sell them, $20 for a set of 6

Edited by 7yphon

The deal with closing the gap is that with running higher boost the forced air can blow the spark out.

Which causes the car to go and sound like a heap of crap when it hits full boost.

I bought Iridium 0.8's for my car when it came over because even though running factory boost levels it wouldn't handle it when it hit around 5000rpm.

And plugs that were in it were Iridium 1.1's

but ive heard that compared to japan our premium fuel quality would be there everyday cheap stuff.

Thats what i know anyway, hope it helps. :)