SAU Community

L24

i did a bit of a search for any info on modding the L24 engine on here, and i couldnt find a thing :)

so anyway, how should i go about giving my L24 some balls?

i got quoted around $900 for a set of extractors + full 2 1/4 inch exhaust, still gotta have a bit of a shop around on that though.

im also guessing a bit of a carbie upgrade would make it feel a bit better.

any other idea.. and also any ballpark figures of what itd cost to do??

hopefully i can get a bit done after xmas :D

a 2.4L, OHC , Straight six.

came in c210 skylines and 240z's among other things..

While they both share the L24 designation, in fact their performance is very different. Small port/valve head and low compression + single carb really emasculated the L24S (S=single carb) in C210 (I'm assuming you still have the stocker). My advice would be to ditch the L24 entirely and get an L28. Then put in a cam, bump compression a little, fit a free flowing exhaust and perhaps a set of 240Z carbs and you'll have something that will have performance worlds away from your current setup.

If you must stick to the current L24 then try to find a head from an r30 Skyline, which will give roughly the same CR, but have bigger ports/valves and allow the engine to breath. Then fit exhaust/carbs/cam as per L28 above. Flat top pistons from 240Z L24 can be used to bump compression.

the best for you money would be to get a complete L28, a good head such as a N42 or P90, get your carbs re-calibrated so that they can flow enough for the bigger motor, and a full exhaust. This should give you a big upgrade in power and torque.

I have a 280ZX which i have just swapped an RB into and also a 260Z with a L28 in it.

BTW - where are you located?

Edited by nissan_280zx

the best for you money would be to get a complete L28, a good head such as a N42 or P90, get your carbs re-calibrated so that they can flow enough for the bigger motor, and a full exhaust. This should give you a big upgrade in power and torque.

I have a 280ZX which i have just swapped an RB into and also a 260Z with a L28 in it.

Unfortunately your L28 won't fit his C210 - the sump bowl is in the wrong place. Z's have a rear bowl sump, but 240K/C210/R30 (not to mention R31/R32/R33/R34) have a front bowl sump. Something which I should have mentioned before.

It's possible to modify the sump and particularly the pick-up to fit, but it's not a simple 'bolt on' proposition.

BTW - where are you located?

Im located in Penrith (nsw)

Whats the difference with the heads?? (n42, P90, etc)

and also, what do they come off?

• 3 weeks later...

what you can do is stroke it, (dont know where to get the crank from but) or much easier way would be to

1. shave the head

2. over size valves/ flow head.

3. cam / lumper

4. 3 webbers (prick to tune) / injection setup.

5. exst

should really haul then. thats pretty much what my L20 had for my 1600.

Really I have seen a l28 straight into a l24 r30 and was told that it was a simple conversion?

There are basically 2 types of L28 in terms of sump configuration - front sump bowl or rear sump bowl. R30 needs a front sump bowl configuration, but 280ZX has rear type so it won't 'bolt in' without fairly substantial mods.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the $1000 exhuast and cam work on my l24 it hauls arse but mine is injected!!I got lightened flywheel when i changed the clutch car goes heaps hard .....Put your thousand bucks towards buying this

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=102996

Its a r30 sedan with 9 inch wide 3 piece simmons

Have you run it down the quater yet? i want to run mine i have no idear what time i am even capable of. My only problem is the launch above 3500 grand wheelspins when the clutch gets dropped. but at 3200 it does a f**ken great launch but it is hard to get it rite.

Edited by datzla

Hmmmm.....

Some interesting posts in here.

1. If you are going to install an L28 just bolt the L24 sump and pickup onto it... I have done it with no probs.

2. best value for money would be Extractors and Twin SU Carbs.....these will make a HUGE difference to an L24 - the head on a C210 is a closed combustion chamer type so whatever you do - DO NOT PLANE THE HEAD - you will get a much better result buy putting in 1mm oversized flat top pistons.

3. There was some talk of stroking.....if you are talking about stroking an L24 then that is easy.. just get L26 or L28 Crank and Rods. If you are talking about Stroking an L28 then forget it ....serious $$$$$$ are needed.

TG

1978 Datsun Skyline C210 Rally Car

L28

Autronic EFI

Lots'a'grunt

I am lingering on the same notion of an L28 N/A upgrade for my mr30 skyline.

my friend has a 240k, as said before their heads have small ports and their compression is high but their flow is crap.

here are some random facts;

*going efi will straight up make a noticable difference, although i'm not sure whether efi is compattible with earlier l24heads such as e30-31 heads. they come stock with e88 heads on mr30 skylines.

*p90, p92 and other heads of the same type were used on the turbo model 280z's. they have a compression of around 7.00:1 i think.

*e-series heads usually have high compression but have really bad flow.

*n-series heads such as n42 and n47 are ideal for non-turbo setups because they have high compression and high flow. when looking for an N-series head go to U-pullit and look through all their Mr30 skylines, most have e88 heads- what mines got(they're still better than e30,31 heads), but you should be able to find some n42/n47 heads amongst them. i think it costs about 80-110 for a block or head individually from lonsdale and elizibeth U-pullits. and there should be plently of mr30's there.

Blocks:

L24- alright for a bodge turbo setup

L28- excellent for N/A. if you're looking for a straight on conversion with an L28 head, then get one WITH FLAT-TOP PISTONS. -even higher compression.

*an L28 block with flat-top pistons and an n42 or n47 head will get you a whopping compression level of 9.5 to 10.5 depending on how it's setup. which is so high you'll be running premium.

*'apparently' there isnt too much difference between the restriction of L28 manifolds to L28 extractors, but i cant comfirm this.

*the efi used on L24 and L28 engines should be interchangable.

*if you go with an N/A setup consisting of an L28block-flat-top pistons and an N47 head-ported, with a 2 & 1/4 exhaust and EFI'd you'll be looking at about 180-190hp at the flywheel i think. maybe more.

if you play your cards right you shouldn't be paying too much for this upgrade assuming that you do it by yourself.

EDIT: also as stated before you will also want the cam grounded, i think 2x1000rpm - 7x1000rpm would be an ideal powerband.

*although this all seems well and good, the hardest thing to get your hands on would probably be an F54 block. they are sought after by datsun enthusiasts.

Edited by Blue Dynamite