SAU Community

Shed Builders

Flash89

hey there boys and girls

i am looking around for the best deal i can get with a big shed

size i am after is 9x11 and height of 4m and to have concrete poured into the shed instead of a slab and to be 200mm thick to be able to fit a hoist

at the moment i have been contacting a couple place and soo far i have been qouted 28k to 32k and the concret cost was about 7-9k that was already included in the qoute

anyone out there know of any good place i should check out??

thanks

The whole slab does not have to be 200mm.

(in fact my slab is ~100mm and I have a hoist). Most hoist manufacturers offer extended footprints (spread the load) on their posts to allow for skinnier slabs :)

The big metal plate in the pic is an option, however other options are the big metal plate (not as big) actually manufactured as the base plate for the hoist. ie no need for attachment, it is the base.

Contact Gav or Maree at HAPP and ask anything you need to know about installing/specs/slab requirements. Tell em Mike sent you and they will sort you out.

Edited by MagicMikeZ32

That's about right for a shed of that size. My 9x6.5x3.6 was 15k for just the kit, then 6k for concrete (I only did half pad at 200mm for my hoist), then I installed it which was a pain in itself

i was also thinking of putting it up myself, but i would have to go through council approval and would require a licenced builder to put it up

Bit of advice, pay someone to do it. A shit tonnes easier, it gets done right the first time and properly, and all those people that offer to help but not show up on the day and it takes you 5 weeks to put it up (may have happened to me)

yeahh i was dreading the idea it would take a lot longer if i was going to do it and stuff up.

thanks for the for giving me the idea in only having half the slab 200mm i may do the same just have the area i will have the hoist 200mm

• 2 months later...

alright, shed has gone through council and i will be putting the slab down in a couple of weeks, as this is on a vacant block (not building a house yet) anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to get power hooked up? and any tips on wiring for the shed?

Get a couple of quotes for wiring, offer the sparky to dig the trench and lay cable down. Also offer to TA for them, pre-run the cable in the shed, anything to make their time at yours less.

Get at least 2x 15amp power points put in just in case you want to get a welder and some hoists run 15amp. Get double fluros for light, I have 2x in each bay lights up like a mofo. I also have 6x double 10amp points, 2x 15amp 1 of which is hanging from the ceiling

I did all the pre-wiring and trench digging for my sparky made it a lot less painful on the bill

pretty much similar to what i was thinking,

and what you mean by pre-wiring is that you have all wiring laid out to where you would have it and the sparky just connects everything, am i right???

how did you run the cables into the shed, i was thinking of something like having some conduit through my slab then underground

Yeah run all the wiring to where you want everything, then the sparky comes and finishes it off.

I ran them from my house fuse box all the way down to the shed, ran the cable through the orange conduit 600mm underground. It now runs under concrete. Was quite a bit of digging but it saved me a lot

Just a word of warning. That steel base plate does very little to spread the load. It will be effective for the first 20mm past the standard foot plate (if you're lucky) then the rest is there purely for show. If you want a proper base plate, it needs to be gusseted to properly transfer the loads to the edges, or be much thicker than what's shown in the photo

As for tips on wiring the shed - LOTS of power points (including at least one 15A point). Also LOTS of overhead lighting. You don't need to use it all, but it's infinitely better than having power boards and extension leads all through the shed.

• 1 month later...