SAU Community

R33 engine problems

Having issues with my rb25det series 2, on cold starts it knocks. This is after just recently doing the timing belt. How can I check that the timing is 100% correct?

I have also found the previous owner has drilled a 10 cent size hole in the firewall to run his gauges. Can I put a grommet in to protect the wires from rubbing?

What is my best option? I don't want to swap in another rooted engine.

Thanks.

What kind of knock? Detonation or bearing knock? 

Um you check the timing with a timing light. See one of the tutorials on cambelt fitting if you are not sure how.

Why would you not put a grommet in the hole?

You need to take the AC/Alternator belts off then the harmonic balancer then you can check if your timing belt is lined up properly -as Kiwi stated see a tutorial.

Alternatively  you could remove the CAS and top cover only and check that the top marks and the timing mark on the balancer line up, but thats a quick and dirty.  If you did your own belt then you would know this.  If you didn't then its not a place to start learning mekanikin'.  Get a mate who knows to coach you???

The actual electrical timing for firing up a motor is done with a timing light and checking that the light strobes the marks on the balancer pulley line up.

The grommet - you would leak water on a rainy day if you don't have one.  Either slit one and press it in with the wires in place [as a temporary fix], take the wires out and install a grommet and then thread the wires back in [proper way], or if your a meathead get a big silastic gun and bog it up!!!!