SAU Community

Knock Detection - Apfc

Bov

Has anyone used a stand alone knock detection device after fitting a power FC.

I understand that the power FC has no ignition retard or knock detection facility?

I understand that usually the Power FC is tunned on a dyno and the ignition map is adjusted to avoid knock. This is usually detected by microphone or data display on the FC commander.

Just wondering how people have managed this issue?

Cheers

Greg

the hand controller on the power FC seems to do that same job..

The Knock link is actually less accurate by the looks. Its got 3 leds on it.. How could that be better than a full graph and an engine light flashing in your face?

A knocklink is essentially the same thing, but i have found that the powerFC listening range is different to the knocklink in some circumstances.

The knocklink has 5 leds to indicate knock, two green being the smallest, two orange being the middle range and a big red led to indicate there is a real problem.

I find it useful to know when the car has small amounts of knock so i can tune it out, rather than wait for a 50 or 60 reading on the power fc until i know that there is a problem.

When doing a power run, if can see some of the lights in my dash light up when pinging is detected, i can backoff and see what the last section was lit in the map tracer.

I'll take a pic of my setup and post it up.

Knocklinks are about 250 bux from memory and have their own knock sensor.

Edited by bmxwrx

or you could grab a datalogit for the powerfc and map all knock on the map.

Datalogits are $500, but can make the powerfc much easier to tune..

The powerfc will read below 60, you have to look at the graph, just like you will be looking at the knock link...

Good point, tho i had the knocklink before i bought the powerFC. I would also like to see knock when it's happening, not look at a data spread after it has already happened.

Also some day might be hotter than others, you could get bad fuel etc, not anticipating the car to knock when it could infact be mildly knocking and you would have no idea it was happening.

But still, FCdatalogit and Innovate XD-1 kit is on their way :P

Sorry for pulling outta your group buy mate, i did'nt have the money at the time.

knocklink.jpg

LED's can be seen very well at night, its a bit hard to see them in the daytime if the sun is directly glaring on them tho.

Edited by bmxwrx