SAU Community

Engine Re-ring

iam_dominic

Hey there just wondering if there is a way of changing the rings with out taking the whole engine out. i've been told u can access them by removing the sump..true?

Seriously doubt it. Haven't looked at an RB in that regard, but with an L-series engine (think of it as the RB's ancestor) it certainly can't be done.

Even if it were possible to ge the piston's out that way, getting them back in with new rings will be an absolute bastard......

it can probably be done by pulling them out through the bottom end but i cant see why you'd bother unless you don't want to buy a new head gasket. I personally think it's a dumb idea. pull the motor out, pull the head off and do it properly.

You have to take the head off because the pistons will only come out and go in through the top of the block. If you want to take them out the bottom, you will need to remove the crank. To put them back in through the sump, you need to get the ring compressor up inside the block - well nigh impossible, I reckon.

But, it isn't necessary to actually remove the engine from the car. Just raise it off the engine mounts to remove the sump.