SAU Community

Speedometer Stopped Working

Russman

I have a 1990 Skyline GTSt and the speedo just stoped working while I was driving along.

I have found that the part in the picture has a few small cracks in it and I think that is what is wrong.

It mounts between the end of the speedo cable and the back of the cluster.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Does anyone have one?

I also noticed that the Hicas light came up at the same time.

I am thinking that they are related and when I fix the speedo, the Hicas will be fine. does anone know?

post-10715-1136787609.jpg

It happened to me twice in the space of 2 weeks.

first time i replaced the speedo cable (the bit you have falls out on all of them eventually, it should be captive).

The second time i replaced the cable and the speedo drive as the original one ate a s/h cable in 2 weeks (actually under 500kms)

the speed sensor is on the back of the speedo so when the speedo goes, the hicas goes. It comes back when you replace the cable.

In the mean time you can get away with putting the cable back together, it'll work for 50km's if you're lucky before it falls out again.

When you replaced the cable, was that little plastic bit seperate or has my end snaped off?

Was your problem the same as mine with the plastic bit split?

I've been to wreckers but they will only sell the complete cable.

thanks for the help.

It happened to me twice in the space of 2 weeks.

first time i replaced the speedo cable (the bit you have falls out on all of them eventually, it should be captive).

The second time i replaced the cable and the speedo drive as the original one ate a s/h cable in 2 weeks (actually under 500kms)

the speed sensor is on the back of the speedo so when the speedo goes, the hicas goes. It comes back when you replace the cable.

In the mean time you can get away with putting the cable back together, it'll work for 50km's if you're lucky before it falls out again.

What wears over time, is it the little plastic thing or the end of the cable?

Would the rest of the cable be ok?

I'm hoping to get away with just replacing that little bit.

The piece you have is supposed to sit inside the end of the cable. There is a little lip in there that wears over time. You'll see it when you get a new cable.

• 5 weeks later...

my speedo cable just snapped on my r32 gts-t and i took it to my mechanic and he reckons that it is common among these cars. he also said that because the hicas can't sense the speed so that why the hicas is playing up. just hope he is right :rolleyes:

all,

the speedo cable inner is supposed to be a one piece item that you cannot remove - I know - I built speedo cables for 2 years. The pic in the original topic starter is the speedo drive end with a short piece of speedo cable that has snapped off. This usually happens on high km cables OR cables which have sharp bends in them. When you replace a cable - ensure you have the largest radius bends in the cable routing - ie no sharp angles. Sharp angles prematurely wear the inner until it gets 'whip' in it (the speedo needle will bounce at low speed) - increasing in bounce up to maybe 40-50kms just before it expires and breaks. Find a gauge repairer in your area that builds speedo cables and they can make an inner cable for you if you take the original inner an outer cable in to them - or you could drop the car off and pay a bit extra for the labour of remove and refit the cable. Hope this helps :(

Blue32

oh,

the hicas probs are definantly related to the broken cable - no speed sense pulse to the computer causes it to spack out. I experimented with a switchable speed sense pulse to the computer on my r32 - to disable the 180km limiter. Result: limiter is disabled but the pwr steer/hicas spacks out and gets real heavy.