SAU Community

Buying A Skyline, Advice Appreciated

Heya.

I am currently an 18 year old P-Plater who has currently just lost his first car due to theft, it's a 1989 Mazda 626, anyway, this has forced me to start looking for a replacement. I have done quite a bit of shopping around and have really taken a keen interest in the skylines. They're fantastic looking cars, they perform well, they handle well and are simply jaw-dropping.

Anyway, i have a largish budget, approx $30,000 in which to buy a car, given that i am interested in buying a Nissan Skyline, what would be the best model to get? I have done a bit of shopping and the cars that i seem to be able to afford are R34 GT-Ts, R32 GT-Rs and even some R33 GT-Rs(there are no restrictions on car types for SA licencsed drivers), i am interested in a performance car, but that's only because i love driving, country driving and am not too inexperienced at driving at high speeds. What i would like to know is some information regarding what i can afford, how much insurance would be for those cars and if getting one of these cars is even fiesable at this age, despite my endless passion and burning desire for motoring.

Thanks,

Arky

You'll have huge trouble getting insurance.. I'm 20 with no accident history or previous claims and my insurance for a 96 Skyline GTS-t was $1800 a year through just cars. Noone else would touch it.

Personally I'd go the '34 GT-T. They're still quick and look the business, and theres probably slightly less chance of you killing yourself as they have traction control.

I doubt at 18 you'd find insurance for the twin turbo GTR skylines as usually they will say not until you're 21, 22, 25 etc. Or just not at all. Plus, even though you said you were an experience driver, the GTR isn't really for young drivers. So, that would leave the R33 GTS-T and R34 GT-T single turbos. $30k could get yu a nice GT-T, or a little over half that could get you an R33 with plenty of change for modifications, insurance and running costs. If you want a GTR, you can get an all wheel drive R33 GTS-T. This will give you about 90% of the GTR driving experience with fewer insurance hassles.

Also, where did you get $30k from at 18? If it is an ongoing income (like a job) then I would go the GT-T. If it is a once off income (loan from parents, inheritance etc.) then I would go the R33 GTS-T and leave the change for running costs and modifications - these cars need $$$ to care for them right!!!

Funny story about insurance. I rang a particular insurance company in Western Australia (who shall remain nameless) when I was trying to get insurance for my R32. They said they would only insure the limited number of Australian delivered GTRs, and not any of the imports. When I asked why, they told me that imported cars cause more damage in an accident than a locally delivered model. I thought that was histerical!!!

Edited by Big Rizza

insurance really isnt that hard to get. JCI will insure just about anything with anyone driving it, they'll just make you pay for it.

you have no restrictions in your state, so id say it'd be even easier for you..

now without going down the give you a lecture path, here's the options i see you having

R34 GT-T, with very little (if any) left over for insurance, rego, maintenance etc. maybe if you picked 1 up cheap that needed work...but for a nice 1 i think that'd push your budget all the way.

R33 GTR, hmmm, any R33 GTR for $30k (or under to factor in insurance etc) wont be the cleanest of GTR's, and will probably need a fair amount spent on it to bring it up to spec.

R33 GTS-T, you have more than enough to pick up 1 of the best R33 GTS-T's out there. with a budget like that you would have enough to find 1 that is in mint condition, stock or modified depending on what you're after....although just because you have enough to afford a mint series 2 R33, doesnt mean you'll find 1 in a hurry....you could pick 1 up (series 2) from anywhere between $15-$22k...and still have enuf to insure and mod it a bit if thats what you want to do.

R32 GTR, with $30k you'd definitely be looking at the better end of the 32 GTR market....they go around the $20k mark, but possibly needing some cash spent on them....but for $25k id say you could find a pretty nice 32 GTR....you just have to look around and get lucky.

personally id take the 33 GTS-T (and I did) based on preferring their looks over a 32, and not wanting to borrow more for an R34. with your budget you could get yourself a nice 33, series 1 or series 2 depending on what you prefer, and have plenty left over to insure and mod it to your taste :huh:

insurance really isnt that hard to get. JCI will insure just about anything with anyone driving it, they'll just make you pay for it.

you have no restrictions in your state, so id say it'd be even easier for you..

now without going down the give you a lecture path, here's the options i see you having

R34 GT-T, with very little (if any) left over for insurance, rego, maintenance etc. maybe if you picked 1 up cheap that needed work...but for a nice 1 i think that'd push your budget all the way.

R33 GTR, hmmm, any R33 GTR for $30k (or under to factor in insurance etc) wont be the cleanest of GTR's, and will probably need a fair amount spent on it to bring it up to spec.

R33 GTS-T, you have more than enough to pick up 1 of the best R33 GTS-T's out there. with a budget like that you would have enough to find 1 that is in mint condition, stock or modified depending on what you're after....although just because you have enough to afford a mint series 2 R33, doesnt mean you'll find 1 in a hurry....you could pick 1 up (series 2) from anywhere between $15-$22k...and still have enuf to insure and mod it a bit if thats what you want to do.

R32 GTR, with $30k you'd definitely be looking at the better end of the 32 GTR market....they go around the $20k mark, but possibly needing some cash spent on them....but for $25k id say you could find a pretty nice 32 GTR....you just have to look around and get lucky.

personally id take the 33 GTS-T (and I did) based on preferring their looks over a 32, and not wanting to borrow more for an R34. with your budget you could get yourself a nice 33, series 1 or series 2 depending on what you prefer, and have plenty left over to insure and mod it to your taste :D

His budgets 30k....why should he get an R33 GTST? Unless ofcourse he has preference for an R33 over 32s/34s.

I'd get either a R34 GT-T.....or an immaculate 32 GTR.

GTR if you want better performance.

GT-T if you want a newer car with a much nicer interior.

Wouldn't bother with a 33 GTR for 30k either.

if its very clean and well running then chances are it wont be $30k. if it is, id buy it .

also remember that if your budget is $30k, and you spend $30k on a GTR, you're going to need ~$3k for insurance....stamp duty etc, and then need some set aside for anything that goes wrong

Hmm, thanks for that, another question, is there a website or a thread which details the differnce between the different GT-Rs because when i was looking at R32s and R33s i noticed a lot of them had V-spec, V-spec II and other specifications.

If you live in a high crime area, forget about the GT-R.

They have a slightly highter theft rate than the 626.

No point buying a car for $30,000 and then having no money left over for insurance, security devices and day to day running expenses... especially if you want a car you can drive.

Personally i'd go with the 32 GTR or the 33 Gtst S2, work out if you want 4WD or RWD and a RB26 or RB25. Basically would cost more to maintain a RB26 and it's a older car, whereas the 33 is newer and slightly cheaper to run. Personally wouldn't bother with the 33GTR or 34 GT T because as the others have said for that price they won't be the best thing around. And you always have some hidden cost that jump out at you.

Gotta love SA for the younger drivers. Will catch you on a SA cruise sometime!!!

Also read up on this, it will help you out with some understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline#R32

Good Luck