SAU Community

Want 17x8... Will 17x7 Do?

MearCat

I have been looking around for the past 3-4 weeks trying to find a set of 17inch rims for my (silver) R33 SII but have not had much luck finding anything I like. I am after something like the Volk Racing Challenge (thinnish 5 spokes) but all I can seem to find is places selling 17x7 rims not 17x8/17x9. Those places selling 17x8 are usuallly offset for FWD and Commonwhores! I want to stick with 17's and not to go to 18's.

If I go with 17x7 rims, my tyre width on those would be ~215, 20mm narrower than the 235 on 17x8 on the front & 40mm narrower than the 255 on 17x9 rears.

In terms of grip and handling, would I be better off keep lookng for a set of 17x8/17x9 rather than settle for 17x7s?

P.S. - I am on a budget (max $1500) too, which also makes it harder to find what I want.

Edited by MearCat

I would stick with the wider wheeels quality wheels. I'm not a fan of those heavy chromy narrow ricer wheels e.g. tempe tyres wheels.

1500 will be pretty tight if you want to run good tyres.

This is how i'd do it: every now and then you see decent jap wheels for sale on sau for cheap. e.g. just a few days ago, a set of avs lookalike wheels went for 500$. i'd do that, and then spend 1k on tyres.

falken fk451 - in 17" ~250 each at tempe tyres.

Edited by 97r33gtst-typeM

The reason you're getting thin sizing is because those 17" wheels are made for cars like Lancer/Civic.

To get the right sizing in 17" you're pretty limited unless you get some JDM rims.

Check out the JDM Imports website - Charles might have something 2nd hand in the size and price you are looking for.

Save up and keep looking for something you will be happy with - otherwise you will waant to change them again down the track.

You can definitely notice the difference in grip between what you can fit on the larger rims and what will fit on the 7's. I too would recommend you buy second hand off the forums. I have done so 3 times with no worries. Maybe someone it upgrading from 17's to 18's and will sell you the rims and tyres for a good price. It does happen.

I would not fit 245 on a 7" rim. Wider is not better. This fitment will just give floppy bouncy sidewalls.

I would fit as follows:

6.5" - 205

7-7.5" - 205/215

8" - 225/235

8.5" - 225/235/maybe245

9" - 245/255

Edited by MANWHOR3