SAU Community

Help! Bolting Flywheel Onto Rb25t.

DRFT 14

I have an RB20det flywheel that im using to bolt my R33 gearbox to an R34 25t. There is however a 'nipple' next to the 6 main bolts on the motor which the flywheel doesnt have a hole for. Check the pic below to understand what i mean-

This is the motor, you can see the nipple in between the two holes on the left.

DSC02139.jpg

My flywheel below as you can see doesnt accomodate this nipple, im guessing this is because im using an older flywheel on a new motor? Is this something that Nissan added in the R34 motor?

DSC02143.jpg

So, my mechanic is coming tomorow morning to put everything together and drop it into my S14 and i just descovered this issue. I need it sorted streight away. Can i simply saw this nipple off? I was going to do that but thought id make sure this is alright and the right thing to do before i take a saw and hack into my new motor :O .

Edited by DRFT 14

I have an RB20det flywheel that im using to bolt my R33 gearbox to an R34 25t. There is however a 'nipple' next to the 6 main bolts on the motor which the flywheel doesnt have a hole for. Check the pic below to understand what i mean-

That's the flywheel dowel pin and all RB turbo engines have one in the crank and the matching flywheel has an extra hole. What you DON'T have is an RB20DET flywheel.....more than likely it's from an RB30E (R31 Skyline or VL Commode) which definately doesn't use a flywheel dowel.

You could saw the nipple off, but better to drill the extra hole in the flywheel. But you might have a bigger problem - if memory serves an RB25DET flywheel is slightly bigger in diameter than the RB20DET (or RB30E) type. What that means is that the starter may not engage with the flywheel you have correctly (but I might be wrong..... :O).

Edited by SteveL

I have asked lot of people and have been told numerous times that the 20t and 25t flywheels are the same. I even rang alot of dismantlers and they all said they where the same?

Drilling a hole on the flywheel itself seems a bit more complicated than chopping off the nipple, so im gonna head off to the garage now and get the saw out. If anyone has anymore comments, let me know :O

I have asked lot of people and have been told numerous times that the 20t and 25t flywheels are the same. I even rang alot of dismantlers and they all said they where the same?

As I said, it's a memory thing......but it's not an RB20DET flywheel, that's certain.

Drilling a hole on the flywheel itself seems a bit more complicated than chopping off the nipple, so im gonna head off to the garage now and get the saw out. If anyone has anymore comments, let me know :O

It's your engine....don't damage the crank.

Like Steve is saying, its pretty standard that dowel (going on my s1 rb25 engine, and flywheel sitting around), and also would add to the stability of the flywheel being locked into place. I wouldn't go sawing it off, I'd make sure you had the right flywheel.

95% positive rb20 and rb25 flywheels are the same (they are always listed as the same part numbers), but I *think* there may be some rb20 flywheels out there that don't fit the rb25 ...for whatever reason(?)

the only flywheel that might not fit the rb25 box may be from a red top rb20 (not certain of course)

but if i was going to b using an r33 box id most likely want to use an r33 flywheel

ur other options are to buy an aftermarket lightweight one, or replace it with one that fits

the only flywheel that might not fit the rb25 box may be from a red top rb20 (not certain of course)

but if i was going to b using an r33 box id most likely want to use an r33 flywheel

ur other options are to buy an aftermarket lightweight one, or replace it with one that fits

The 33 flywheel is the same as the 32 - at least in aftermarket solutions it is anyway..

Hmm, its good to hear the flywheels are the same, and also confoimation on the clutch, as im using the same 5puk clutch that was used in the old RB20 setup. I did howover saw off the dowel. If the non-turbo's didnt have them, im sure mine will be ok.

Cheers for the help guys :P