SAU Community

Cambelt Change

OVADRV

Cambelt due on my r33 2.5det. Now im just wondering is there a proper tool that lock the cams while timing belt is off or do i just use a universal one.I know the proper way is from the stater motor and lock it from there.Has anybody done it from the cams.Is there a proper tool made for the r33 and where can i get one?..thanks

Not quite sure where you're coming from. If you're concerned about getting the crank pulley bolt undone, do that first. The simplest way is to set it up with a breaker bar just resting on the passenger side chassis rail. Give the starter a tweak, and the bolt will be loosened. You can still use the crank bolt to rotate the engine and set it up at TDC - you won't tighten the bolt that much before you actually remove it.

While its all apart, cams aren't going anywhere.

Not quite sure where you're coming from. If you're concerned about getting the crank pulley bolt undone, do that first. The simplest way is to set it up with a breaker bar just resting on the passenger side chassis rail. Give the starter a tweak, and the bolt will be loosened. You can still use the crank bolt to rotate the engine and set it up at TDC - you won't tighten the bolt that much before you actually remove it.

While its all apart, cams aren't going anywhere.

I did a cambelt / waterpump on my r32 gts this weekend.. used this exact method.. take the Crank Angle Sensor plug off the front of the motor so it wont start and give it one short crank, worked perfectly..