SAU Community

Cheap Oil Filters At Supercheap Auto

damono

Hey guys.. just thought i'd let you know I just went to Supercheap auto and found they've got generic branded oil filters for $2.99. I picked up 4x Z145A compatible (part no. SC6) filters for around the price i paid last week for 1 repco or ryco filter

Just thought i'd let you guys know.

PS. Supercheap auto in Rockingham is now out thanks to me :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A filter is a filter, There is no reason not to buy something from supercheap, Same with Sparkplugs they sell them cheap but they are the same as everywhere else, they just buy them in bulk.

Saying a filter is a filter is like saying a lada is essentially the same as a porshe... like any other manufactured product the difference between products always comes down to the quality of materials used and the workmanship. Its hard to gauge the quality of an oil filter because you can’t see the size of particles it lets past and the implications of it not working don’t become apparent for a long time. I know the other generic stuff like light globes supercheap sell (where you can get a fair idea of quality just by looking at it) are the crappiest looking things I have seen. Branded stuff is different because it’s a known quantity most of the time and I haven’t always found supercheap to be the best priced for this stuff anyway.

As they say you get what you pay for so in the end and if I am going to spend $60-70 on oil I don’t mind spending more than 3 bucks on a filter I know will work.

On a different note the other reasons I so strongly dislike this chain of stores is because I know how good it used to be when it was marlows in term of having knowlegable staff, good prices and decent gear…. And their farking ads now make me want to take to the TV with a hammer.

Yes Supercheap are sometimes Super Crap but the oil filters they get are the same as what repco stock, There is no dif they arnt the crap of the stock all the same made by the same machines, Also it pays to look at the cheap brands because it could have been made by a very good brand name but sold off as comp* brand. We all know this becuase of the food, EG. The cheap woolworths brand of bread is made by buttercup, So you never know that home brand Supercheap Oil filter could be made by Rico just packed difrent and sold at a no name brand. So before you shoot something down make sure it isnt made by the comp you where going to buy from anyway.

Edited by 7yphon

Well.. as I said previously.. the build quality looks perfectly fine to me. And you said that the problems with them dont become apparent for a long time. Considering I drop my oil every 5000kms and drive about 100kms a day to work and back, theoretically im changing my oil every 2months 2 weeks (10 weeks). If i can save $10 a filter for pretty much the same thing, then yeh, ill do it. BTW.. if my car is going to die, it wont be from a oil filter, it'd be due to some old granny pulling out in front of me going 50kms under the speed limit like they always tend to do.

Do you want to risk a $5kish engine rebuild by saving $7.05 on a filter?

Not me

If they are the exact same filter sure but the only way to tell if these generics are OK is by a used oil analysis. (Or try them for 50,000kms or so and let us know how you go)

Thats the thing you dont, all a filter does it filter the oil not much thought goes into it you know. Look all I can say is this, His engine is still going my engine is still going, That should be proof enough that it works, Also when you chnage your oil for 5,000KMS is doesnt really matter in the long run now does it. Its a proven fact that you dont need to change the filter every service maybe every two and as I said above, Do you really know if the no name brand isnt rico?

Yeh what 7yphon said. Look... personally if i were running my car for 20000kms between oil changes then, yeh, i would fork out the extra few bucks.. but in the end.. im running it for 5000kms then changing the oil and filter so I highly doubt that my engine will die due to that. My engine is getting very high in Km's as it is, about 190000, if its going to die its going to die because of excessive kms, not a cheap oil filter IMHO

Guys no one is trying to flame you but rather protect you from a very nasty and expensive experience.

If you don't want to listen that's fine.

I have an ex Marlows/Supercrap manager sitting next to me and he cut one of the "Valvoline" filters in half to check them and in his words they are a grenade ready to go off.

They are poor filters and flimsy with a possible colapse of the filter likely.

I have seen the results of a collapsed filter stopping oil supply.

How long will an engine run without oil supply?

Be just seconds I'd say.

But at least you saved seven bucks

I've just been corrected ...the Valvoline filter they cut in half are BETTER than the generic type so do with this info what you like but I'd be slinging them in the bin.

He will send me pics of the filters cut open so hopefully I can post tomorrow