SAU Community

Cams For A Rb20

nytrda

Hey guys at the moment looking at what cams to get. I am also looking at cam gears aswell. I currently am getting turbo hiflowed, I have gtr injectors ready to go in, power fc, bosch 040 fuel pump, fmic an full 3" exhaust turbo back with 3" custom dump so yeh any help would be much appreciated.

Jamie

i got myself some tomei 256 8.xx cams for my rb20, i havent installed them, but i got them cause i dont HAVE to change springs and shit to install them and also they are a mild upgrade and able to keep a fairly resonable idle with them.

Will see how it goes in the coming weeks

i run tomei pro cams (260/8.9) in my rb20 and they have been forking mint.

super smooth idle with the occational hickup, but man you cant tell the diffrence.

power gains alone were worthwhile they really opened up the top end of the motor, but thats assuming you have a turbo that can push air at high rpms.

well heres a run when the car was still untuned and before i melted a hole in a piston.

if i can get the turbo to spool up sooner (a rebuilt motor should do it in much less time) then it will have a much better powerband.

post-9364-1137423803.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm at the moment attempting to install a set of RB26DETT camshafts into my RB20DET.

Everything is fine with the cams themselves fitting into the head, cam brackets fit nice and torque up well with no binding. The problem starts with the lifters.

Now I know I can run with the hydraulic lifters. We tried this on our R32GTS4, the engine ran quite well above 2200RPM. It had idle issues but we kind of knew that would happen. We removed them and put the standard cams back in so we could drive the car to the last Skylines show in town.

I thought with the hydraulic lifters in our race car it was a bit of a no no, mainly for the high RPM operation. So i got hold of a set of solid lifters (RB26DETT). For some reason, even if i installed them into the head above the valve springs, it looks like they will not make up the distance to the base circle of the cam lobes.

Will this be fixed with the shims between the valve and lifter??

Seems like alot of room to make up their, maybe up to 1inch

Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject for me.

Cheers

Turbine

Hey guys at the moment looking at what cams to get. I am also looking at cam gears aswell. I currently am getting turbo hiflowed, I have gtr injectors ready to go in, power fc, bosch 040 fuel pump, fmic an full 3" exhaust turbo back with 3" custom dump so yeh any help would be much appreciated.

Jamie

im looking at getting cams for my Rb20 at the moment.

I was recommended to get:

TOMEI PONCAM Camshaft and Pulley Kit

PONCAM Intake and exhaust camshafts and pullies. 256 degree intake and

exhaust, 8.50mm lift camshafts.

and at a bargain price to i think!!!

Cheers GMB

No they are not bolt in. The head needs to be relieved for the sweing of th ecam lobes. You woud need different springs....

The one thing thats not clear, is will hydraulic lifters be abel to handle that sort of lift, as surely that sort of lift would mean rather high acceleration/decceleration.

Looking at engines liek the RB26, Evo motors etc that run big lift cams they all seem to use solids...must be a reason.

theres tomei cams on nengun for rb20 the are 256 would they be ok i only wana do cam shafts and cam gears engine wise and would they bring boost on better with a bigger turbo? one other guy on here put in 260's and got about 300rpm better boost response

cheers simon

well i would love to but i dont think the gains are worth it with my set up for the money i would spend!!!!

Dont listen to me. I just want to see someone go all out on an RB20 so we can all see if they can make decent power :P

But the cams themselves are no more expensive, adn the mod to the head is straightforward DIY stuff. Only you will have to remove the head to replace the springs...what i need to know is do hydraulic lifters handle this sort of lift, or is it a matter of the springs have to be so damn stiff that its best to run solids????

Now i'm new to the whole cams thing but am also looking to possible pair up some cams, cam shafts and a turbo along the lines of a 2530/35 to my RB20.

I'm not one for outrught power, i just want response.

Obviously knowing that cams and cam shaft will improve response, are there any real gains, like after fitting some cams and cam gears will you go "wow holy shit i can feel it!"

Or not?

Just more or less a little research and a suggestion on what to go with with a 2530 size turbo.

PS. Is it a wank factor to have the rough lumpy idle?

I dunno about you guys but i love it!

Dont listen to me. I just want to see someone go all out on an RB20 so we can all see if they can make decent power :D

But the cams themselves are no more expensive, adn the mod to the head is straightforward DIY stuff.  Only you will have to remove the head to replace the springs...what i need to know is do hydraulic lifters handle this sort of lift, or is it a matter of the springs have to be so damn stiff that its best to run solids????

Not oging all out but going to be running a very similar set up to your Roy :D