SAU Community

Targa Tasmania 2006

Marlin

QUESTION ANSWERED DUNCAN

The factory teams will be on a diet of omlet and cake given the amount of egg they have to get rid of... Longhurst in his missus shopping car 4th eh all.

The big shiney pantec mob had their colours lowered well and truely. Now they have twelve months to savour the flavour...

It can only be hoped that Octagon and Cams either alone or together don't stuff the event by making it a 4wd shopping car event - (and I own one).

In fact we now have another R32 GT-R in my shed being repaired... wonder if it's for sale

TT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lack of rain killed of the WRX's and EVO's for this year. And Jim will be hard to beat in his 997 Turbo next year.

I was a little dissapointed with the small classic field this year, I hope that they will be back in a stronger force next year.

Hopefully Dad and I get our act together for next year. We've been looking at some GT-R's.

:D Well, another year done! - The food at the Jailhouse Grill in Lonnie was good too! :yes:

There's a few references to our car on this thread (blue R34 V-spec II - #925). Anyone get any photos?

We were taking it really easy in Prologue because we didn't want to start behind the Glenney/Herridge/Rooklyn guys because they drag sh*t all over the road!

So I think we kicked off 47th on day one, had a terribly slow day one getting used to the car (we finished it 2 weeks before the event started), jumping to 27th I think? Day 2 saw us gel better and get the big girl honkin, day 3 was awesome south of Hobart (even managed to tag a spun Suby!), day 4 is long and hard for the driver/nav to stay concentrated, so we made a couple of mistakes in the afternoon but kept her on the black stuff, and day 5 was as always great, with the only wet weather seen from 40 kays into Arrowsmith stage onwards.

We finished 11th outright I believe, beats Brocky and Herridge!, pretty good I reckon given the very minimal mods we did! (We were going to enter it as an N1 but time and cost didn't allow it - a genuine N1 oil cooler kit is something like 11G! - you have to run the real thing). So we just entered it as normal V-spec II, with mods of Power FC, exhaust, Teins in Fulcrum spec, boost at 1.2 bar. She performed better than I ever expected! Needs bigger brakes though!

We we were really hoping for a lot more wet weather, so we could have pushed earlier. As it was, we really had to conserve the tyres, on day 4 & 5 especially! It was good to see the scrutineers paying more attention this year to tyres, insisting some were changed by the front runners, and in turn promoting teams who were looking after their tyres further up the field. That really is a huge part of success in Targa I reckon.

Cannot wait 'til next year now!!!!! :thumbsup:

post-7861-1146540995.jpg

Edited by Marlin

11th outright was a bloody good effort. 1st GT-R home.

how much power was it puting out? What boost does the r34 run from the factory for it's "206kw".

Yeah thanks! We were stoked with the result too!

We tuned it @ 1.3, made around 300 RWKW, but turned it down to 1.2 and fattened up the fuel map to keep it alive and keep the exhaust temps down, so was really probably making around 280 RWKW.

Feels like every bit of it though when the calls are "250m, straight over crest, 450, straight over crest, 100, turn left 2!!!! Great fun!

I reckon there should be some excellent sideways footage and laying big smoothies off the line around!

30th outright

14th in cat

3rd in class

Well done guys! :O

All us 4wd guys needed some more wet stuff to help look after the tyres! The Evo's really seem to excel then, Brown/Locker get that one of theirs going nicely!

It seems they haven't set the final results yet? I heard there was at least 2 protests against guys in the top 10? Can anyone confirm how its going? By reading leg 5 standings, we're;

11th outright

4th in class

1st in category

Am I reading it right?

Anyone doing rally of Bernie?

post-7861-1146616874.jpg

Congrats Marlin on getting to the end. We took the car down to Tassie for you in the transporter. I'm from SherrinMotorsport, came and had a yarn to you guys at lunch on day four.

Any chance of getting that second 34 picture in high-res??

Looks absolutely awesome but I can't use it as a wallpaper due to it's size :ermm:

Can't help you at the moment, thats the only pic I could find on the entire website. But if we get any better quality ones I'll happily PM them to you MIVEC.

Cheers!

It's alright, I've got the stationary photo for now....but if you could pass on any more in motion ones that would be tops.

Cheers!

Will do my best, will take a while though I expect, nothin happens too quick around here! If you'd both like to PM your emails I'll forward anything through to you guys.

Cheers, Ben.

(edit) - just found another on the Silvia forum

post-7861-1146729401.jpg

Edited by Marlin

well done that's a great result :( especially considering your prep compared to what some of the more full on competitors go thru!

out of interest what tyes were you running and how did they hold up? I understand there were a lot of issues and forced replacements due to the dry weather :rant:

well done that's a great result :ban: especially considering your prep compared to what some of the more full on competitors go thru!

out of interest what tyes were you running and how did they hold up? I understand there were a lot of issues and forced replacements due to the dry weather :D

Thanks Duncan!

As we did last year we ran Kumho's medium tyre (not only because they helped us out a little, but because we LOVE them - they're are massively underated). These tyres perform well in the dry, but are absolutely AWESOME on wet conditions. As we were aware on arrival that it would likely be mostly a dry event this year, we were taking it very easy on these in the first few days, and experimenting with pressures etc to try and minimise the wear. Suprisingly, we found the GTR looked after them at much higher pressures this year (around 38psi vs 25psi last year in the Sti - cold).

Half the battle as you know with Targa is getting through on one set of rubber, no use headin out like a hero only to be told you need to change a tyre and cop the penalty (ala Beatty etc...).

Overall, they were really good, we only overheated them on one stage (Sidling), but they came back well. The last few stages on day 5 saw it wet, and we actually passed a front running GT3 within about 100 seconds from the start line (leave at 30 sec intervals), so yeah, in the wet, I don't know a better tyre. And we really have tried them all! :O

We still had a little tread left at the end, so I think we timed our push pretty well!

Hi

I'l be driving my GTS-t for the 2nd time as the official camera car, it's fun. They pay for everything and you get to have a fang on the stages and pass old cars!! You may remember, the cameraman getting cleaned up by Walker's R32 GTR last year?? I was standing right next to him, yuk!! He was my man!!

Car # - 800

Driver name - Mark Perry

Co-Driver name - Tim Williams

Vehicle type - R32 GTS-t

Targa history - 1997-2004 Targa Tas, 1998-2004 Rally Tas

4th outright- 03, 5th outright- 02. 5 class wins, golden targa trophy. 3rd outright Rally Tas- 03 & 04

G'day Mark, I forgot to mention how much the crew and I loved the skids through the official finish at Wrest Point! haha! Gold! :mrt:

There's like no pics of #925 on the web? Were we too fast to see? :mrt:

GTR all the way! Couldn't go back to an evo now, the oversteers too much fun!

We're doin Rally Burnie in July if anyone's gonna be around?

Incar footage night would be nice, unfortunately I think the drivers are in posession of the footage, and I don't know if we'll get to see it again...... We should be at rally Burnie though, see you there.