SAU Community

Fuel - what is everyone using?

Chris32

Hi all, just thought I'd ask this question to see what fuel everyone is using locally and if they have had any bad experience with certain brands/outlets?

The reason being is that i think I have a dud tank of fuel in my car, as I reckon I heard a bit of detonation whilst going for a quick blast through the hills on sunday arvo. It wasn't hot (22-24deg inlet temps) but in 3rd gear @5000 rpm I heard something and got of the gas straight away, and haven't given it any since then, as I still have 3/4 of a tank of this stuff in it!

The servo in question is Mobil, Nth East rd, St Agnes, 98 octane premium. I have never had a problem before, but I want to know if anyone else has had any drama with any particular outlets?

Chris

BP Ultimate 98 - no problems so far.

Shell Optimax (98RON) whilst in NSW - no prob's.

Mobil premium (96RON) I didn't have a choice - detonation.

My car has always been tuned on/for 98RON.

I've never used any of the others in the Skyline.

Well thats what I have been using (synergy) for about a year now, with no problems apart from the tank full I have now. I might give it a light run on the way home tonight and listen out for anything, other than draining it, maybe a bit of octane booster will help until I fill it up again.

I am curious about everyone else's response's, as I always thought that the BP stuff was lesser quality than the mobil stuff. Maybe shell should pull its finger out and give us SA people optimax!

If you have 3/4 of a tank of flat petrol why not pep it up with an octain booster? At $10-$15 sit better than running the risk of detonation.

PS anyone have access to comercial quantities of Toluene? As I uderstand its the key ingredient to boost the octain level and quite cheep to buy in bulk.

i've tried all diff types of petrol .. normal .. premium .. 98 ron .. i've tried woolworths premium too ... car feels best with normal bp premium for me .. although i don't push my car much ... i think bp stuff is much cleaner too ... something about low levels of some chemical which others have high quantity of ... can't remember exactly what it was ... normal premium gives me the best mileage ... at least 100km from a tank(dont' ask me why .. it just does) .. get the same mileage with 98ron stuff as i do with normal stuff... and its cheaper by a couple of cents so i win both ways ... just my 2 cents ...

Ok, seems everyone has had good results with the BP stuff, I think I will try that next time I have to fill up

4door_sleeper, octane booster does a good job of fouling platinum plugs, so for now its just running stock boost

I've been using Synergy 8000 for about 90% of the time and it's been OK. When I swap to BP Ultimate i just get the feelign it's not bit more detonation prone but nothing concrete.

Here are some specs of the BP website:

You could just siphon the tank? Then put the remaining fuel in the family run about. If you've got one? Then fill the Skyline up with BP98 & give it a good test in the hills :D

If you do siphon, try to avoid getting any in the mouth :spew: Like I did emptying & cleaning my overflow bottle the other day, whilst changing the coolant :D

Nah, no run about, but I could use it in my 3 wheel dirt bike!!

Can't be stuffed with the siphon, maybe I should just take the cap of and park it in victoria sq for a hour (i shouldn't have said that!!)

will try the bp stuff next

I had the same prob lately too...

I have always used Mobil synergy 8000 with good results....

But lately I got a really bad batch, and the car has run like sh1t ever since....

I have even gone through a tank of BP utimate, and Optimax since, and my car is still not the same?!?!?!?!?!

I find that with Ultimate, I get less pinging on idle, but with Optimax I get more power....

So I have reverted back to optimax, and refuse to run synergy 8000 again...

Chris32......mate that Vic square comment just killed me..::alcoholic

I'll ask the guys at Mobil the fuel specs as well and compare to BP 98 but I don't think it will tell us much.

BP & Mobil obviously have to make 98 octane or better, as that is what they claim but they change the make-up of the fuel in any old way they please that I'm sure effects the "effective" octane rating, if there is such a term. Winter & summer fuels are different for example, summer is less volatile to reduce evaporation in tanks and things they do etc etc.

Zahos, maybe replace your in-line fuel filter near the bottom of the plenum chamber and it may run better.