SAU Community

Straight Exhaust On Rb25?

CAT_SPEW

The exhaust (cannon) on my car is screwed, it has a bit of a smash on the bottom which I have been told would of broken the baffle or whatever is inside. It has a rattle to it when the car is running, and the tuner said that it would be robbing me of power the way it is.

I have been thinking of just cutting it off and welding a straight pipe where it was which I'm sure you have all seen on "drift" cars.

But I'm not sure of how loud it will make the car?? It isn't very quiet as it is, but I don't want it going any louder if possible.

The exhaust is 3" from the turbo back, and I can't remember if there is a Cat-converter etc. on there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :(

Edited by CAT_SPEW

You'll be heard 4-5 blocks away, and i seriously mean that.

It's gonna be loud loud loud :(

If you dont mind it... "it" being the horrid drone and noise if its a daily...

And you dont live in an area that you can get into trouble for having it like that... i guess there isnt much to stop you.

But yeah, gonna be louder dude when its on song and @ idle

R31Nismoid - Don't take this the wrong way, but have you heard a straight pipe on a RB25? Or are you just assuming it would be really loud? Just curious?

Can anyone recommend a decent exhaust to get? That isn't very pricey? Or are they all basically the same just with a different brand name?

well if mine didnt have a staight pipe (just one muffler, "race"-cat) and it was loud... under load (before i had an external gate)

its safe to assume with no muffer in the system, that logic would tell me its going to be louder than what i had, it might be the same, but i dont think so.

I kid you not that i could be heard easily a block away from my house... :D

There are a lot of jap brand exhausts @ cheap prices in the For Sale section (on this forum).

Also from importers that for your car would all be a bolt on affair.

For under $1000 that aint bad (in stainless)

Or, better yet, why dont you just get the muffler replaced? I reckon $200-$250 would cover you for a replacement at the worst cost.

Just get them to make a flange, will come in handy for those pesky EPA letters which everyone seems to get once or twice in thier life (if your vic that is)

R31Nismoid - Don't take this the wrong way, but have you heard a straight pipe on a RB25? Or are you just assuming it would be really loud? Just curious?

Can anyone recommend a decent exhaust to get? That isn't very pricey? Or are they all basically the same just with a different brand name?

We used to run 3inch pipe for our complete exhaust...thats right...no muffler at all......it was loud but not as bad as you think....it sounded like a rotor. Drove it around on the street...you would get the occaisional look but nothing major.

i have the buddy club spec 2 exhaust on my rb20 and while it sounds awesome it is very loud due to the fact that its nothing more than a straight pipe and a *tiny* resonator.

got a bit annoying as a dd, but it does have a silencer to quiet it down should you decide to retain you hearing.

R31Nismoid- What do mean by getting a flange welded on? Do you mean so I could just take the "cannon" off for track use then stick it back on when on the road?

Yep, thats what i mean :D

So you get the quiet (kinda) on the street and then loud when you want it.

Or then you can even get a really quiet muffler (not a tin-can-cannon thing) and have it really quiet and swappable.

Just some ideas

Your cannon muffler is on a flange, right? Unbolt it and see how loud it is. R31Nismoid has got to be on the money... my mate had an R32 GTS4 with an 80mm pipe, no cat and one rear cannon muffler. It sounded like a Mack truck and I could hear him coming down my street. (street is windy and about 300m long)

did you ever have it DB tested?

i clocked... 120 with a muffler  :D

silly R31house system that was the supposedly loudest one in thier shop going by thier website

I used to have no mufflers on my GTR; dual 3" (with cats) into 4".

That was 105dB at 3500RPM under no load (i.e. stationary test). It was

louder under load and at higher RPM, but I never measured it.

With a 4" resonator and a 4" muffler it's now 95dB @ 3500 (same test).

Regards,

Saliya

Unfortunatly it isn't on a flange atm, just welded straight on. One of my dads friends has a DB meter so when it comes time to decide I will chop it of, test it. And if it's too loud then I will just go with your idea Nismoid and weld a flange on :)

Just out of curiosity, what muffler do you have xr8eater?

i think the db limit is 100 in QLD not sure?

Holy sh|t! Thats tops :)

I thought the EPA was Australia wide (and only being commonly visited by Vic people hehehe)

Vic/EPA is 89dB, a stock Exhaust GTR/RB26 rarely passes anymore as the test is done @ 4800rpm. Used to be 4500rpm if i recall and they would "just" snip over the line.