SAU Community

Pipercross Panel Filter Verses

skidkid

Fellow boostaholics, Has anybody got comparisons (eg. power and restriction) between having a good quality panel filter (Pipercross or k&n) compared 2 a good cold air box and good pod filter?. Make sure u have a couple for Aus. day. Cheers.

What I found is that a decent pod costs about the same as a panel filter if not more, & you have to stuff around with making a cold air box for the pod = more $$$, & The problem with an unboxed pod is that it sucks in HEAPS of hot air from the engine bay.

Or you could buy a VL-VP Commodore K&N ($99) or Splitfire ($60) panel filter from just about anywhere & stick it straght in. no stuffing round & about the same gains as a boxed pod filter.

I found that on my old r33, I did have a high flow K&N in the stock box, but I picked up a pod for like $25 with everything to bolt it on.

I didnt have a cold air intake box, the pod just sucked air from the engine bay.

I didnt see any difference by just swapping, other than lovely intake suction and bov whoosh noises coming out of the pod.

I would think that a pod with a proper cold air intake setup with proper vents to allow air to flow through to it would probably be great on the track, but for everyday use I wouldnt think there would be much difference between a high flow panel in the stock airbox or a pod in a CAI setup....?

I have 255rwkw and the stock airbox witha nismo panel filter in it. Only 0.9 bar too so no restrictions apparent anywhere.

Mik makes 390rwkw with stock airbox and tommyk 330.

I figure there are better things to spend my money on than a pod. That's all.

It is worth noting that the Mines R34GTR (600 bhp) uses the standard airbox, with a high flow filter and their own snorkel.

:P cheers :O

PS; the Bass Junky Stagea air deflector (using my design) will also have a scoop for the inlet snorkel. This is the thread on my tests for inlet air temp using the prototype. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=55489

Edited by Sydneykid