SAU Community

Replacing Engine Driven Fan For Thermofan?

Techo

Has anyone contemplated/priced replacing the engine driven fan for a big say 16" thermo fan?

After years of working on motors (i admit they were all mainly Commondores), i found the less you have the crank driving, the more power is transmitted thru the driveline. And small things like engine driven fans, water pumps, etc that can be replaced with electric items make good gains in kw.

Just a thought @ 5am........

Tried it on a R32 GTS4. Had problems with overheating because the air would not go through the radiator properly. Even on the highway, 23 C, on a slight incline the fan would switch on. On the racetrack, bloody hopeless. So I put the factory clutch fan back on (left the thermo pilot light in place) - the light came on after 4 laps of QR on a 30C day.

I figured it needed massive investment in design and fitting a system to ensure the air went through the radiator. And maybe bonnet vents to let the air out of the engine bay.

For the few kw you will gain, not worth the effort - or the engine.

• 7 months later...
Tried it on a R32 GTS4. Had problems with overheating because the air would not go through the radiator properly. Even on the highway, 23 C, on a slight incline the fan would switch on. On the racetrack, bloody hopeless.

I figured it needed massive investment in design and fitting a system to ensure the air went through the radiator. And maybe bonnet vents to let the air out of the engine bay.

Bassy Junky's radiator air guides are coming out soon................ would that help?

Has anyone contemplated/priced replacing the engine driven fan for a big say 16" thermo fan?

After years of working on motors (i admit they were all mainly Commondores), i found the less you have the crank driving, the more power is transmitted thru the driveline. And small things like engine driven fans, water pumps, etc that can be replaced with electric items make good gains in kw.

Just a thought @ 5am........

interesting thought tho. gotta love those 5am thoughts :laugh:

Edited by Tangles