SAU Community

Intercoolers

Hey guys i was thinking of getting a bigger intercooler for my car.

i have a r33 gtst skyline and was wonderign if you know where i can get a cheap intercooler kit which u can install yourself.

Also would it be easy to install a turbo timer and a boost controller or should i get a pro to do it for me. Anything would be helpful

If u want really cheap and easy to do, go for an R34 GTT stock cooler. Its a side mount and bolts right up. Unless ur going for massive power in the long term, thats what I'd suggest. I sold mine to Konrad and he got a 25 rwkw increase running 12psi.

If u want really cheap and easy to do, go for an R34 GTT stock cooler.  Its a side mount and bolts right up.  Unless ur going for massive power in the long term, thats what I'd suggest.  I sold mine to Konrad and he got a 25 rwkw increase running 12psi.

My ears are burning :) That was 10psi choy, not 12. Can post pre and post dynos if anyones interested.

And yeah, for a cheap upgrade you cant beat it. I did the maths and its 61% bigger than the r33 one. Bolts in like it was made for the 33, installed mine the afternoon i got it off choy in 30 minutes, you dont even need to take the front bar off. For defect avoidance it looks 100% stock too- cos it IS stock :) Plus you minimise lag since it uses stock piping and really is quite a small core compared to your hybrid styles for example.

Should be good for up to 200rwkw or so i'm told.

Go the GTT cooler B)

Sorry.  Imagine what it would do at 12psi then :)

Might be able to get it up to 180rwkw i imagine. For reliability i decided to leave it at 10psi for now (specially with how hot it is atm) but next time its on the dyno might as well crank it to 12psi to see what it could run.

So are you saying the R34 GTT standard intercooler bolts stright in with no hassels into where the standard R33 (in front of the front left wheel) is a stright fit??? With no stuffing around????????

Sound interesting im jsut puzzel how it would with no hassle if its %61 bigger.

Thanks Michael

So are you saying the R34 GTT standard intercooler bolts stright in with no hassels into where the standard R33 (in front of the front left wheel) is a stright fit??? With no stuffing around????????

Sound interesting im jsut puzzel how it would with no hassle if its %61 bigger.

Thanks Michael

standard r33 IC is 185mm(H) x 205(W)x60(D). That works out to be 2275.5cm3

34 core - 225mm(h)x205mm(w)x80mm(t) = 3690cm3

% difference = 2275 / 3690 x 100 = 61%

Heres a pic to show the size difference (taken by someone else not me)

Stagea_Vs_R34GTT_Intercooler_Thickness_Comparo_Small.jpg

Width is the same, its just a bit taller and is 2cm thicker. 100% bolts in everything fits like its supposed to be there - cheapest upgrade you can get.

Well as per the countless threads on intercoolers, if ur after more than 200rwkw, go for a front mount, otherwise the side mount will suit ya. You will also need to take into consideration slight increase in lag that FMIC's give ya but again, it depends on what ur goals and other mods are.

Running the standard turbo I can't see much point in going FMIC. Maybe if you are a trackwarrior - using the FMIC to keep the inlet temps down.

The standard turbo shouldnt be pushed much above 10psi - at this level the R34 cooler isn't too shabby. I had a powerfc tune and am quite happy.