SAU Community

Import cars here has really low millage beacuse the dealer wind them back...umm how do you do that with an electronic odometer?

also if the millage is wound back, wuldn't the timing belt age hard to be determined....

Timing belt should be changed @ 100 k k's or 5 years wich ever comes first so a car thats over 5 yeasr old should have a belt replaced .

As for the electronic oddos it only stops amateures not the pros .

Timing belt age would only be hard to determine for the new owner who doesn't know the real kms. Not a concern for the original owner who wound it back in the first place as they would know the real kms. Original owner likely would not care about the new owner's problems.

I've been told that in some cars its a case of swapping the ECU with another ECU of the same model with less kays.

Not so , they have a separate chip for the oddo!

Blueprint , very easy for the pros , even easier than the old none digital odds but impossible for the amatur.

if in doubt, change the belt. i did all the 100km service stuff when my car came into australia despite what it said on the odo, which was obviously wound back.

inspection of the belt showed it was in need of a change as it was cracking in some places. you can just take the cam cover off and check it out.

I remember watching Auto Motor Sport once on channel 31. There was this guy in Germany who used to advertise his service in the paper. He basically has this little device he would plug in behind the dash and type in any number and that would become the new reading on the electric odometer. done in a few minutes.

yeah that's the thing I'm worried abt..my car reads 50,000km....

but the mechanic said my timing belt is getting old.... ..then when I told him that my car has only done 50,000km..he just said..ohh it's okay then....I'm thinking weather he's just trying to rip me off hoping I didn't know anything abt the timing belt...or the Japanese ppl wind back the odometer...huum getting worried, I dun want the belt to snap halfway driving, I'll be in deep shit...

sky 34 - there was something about how to check the timing belt on the supra website (when i was looking for a supra). im pretty sure this is the site (though I could be wrong) -

http://www.mkiv.com/main/index.html

There was a picture on what to check for the timing belt - so see how you go.

LOL you guys crack me up. REVERSE HAHA!

When BMW released thier first electric speedo a guy in britain had it cracked in a blink.

Why would you be interested in how its done? My advise is dont buy a car off you!