SAU Community

The Sunny Coast Chat Post

Baysidebluebnr34

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only heard good things about Chapman’s. I was planning on taking my car then to finalise and get some power figures.

If your mate has the tools required and the knowledge I would road tune. That is what I am doing. Wideband o2, knock sensor datalogging, knock sensor mini microphone and datalogging on microtech. Will tune for 98oct, 98oct plus Martini super boost, 100oct and 100oct plus Martini super boost. Then when I am happy with it. Take it to the dyno and switch fuels and maps to see the difference and fine tune further :D

George May is the wolf distributor around here. He did a bit of a road tune on my car but basically said that it was too fast to do on the road (but wolf doesn’t have map tracer or datalogging). Then took it to Ron Hill’s and used their dyno and he tuned it. I wouldn’t go to Ron Hill’s as I didn’t think the dyno operator was very experienced.

Hope that helps ;)

i have heard a few good things about chapmans, but for every good thing i hear, i hear a bad thing. i was originaly going to get them to tune it but then i started to hear about the bad things.

WOO HOO! Any damage on it yet? The dude who bought it was young and apparently just wrote off his first car (commie). :D

nah it seemed to be all in tact when i saw it. and wasnt driving stupid. so maybe he learnt his lesson..

i work next to ron hill auto's. hear a few turbo cars in there, but i dont know what knowledge they have, so id rather go elsewhere aswell. and i havent seen alot of import/turbo cars go in there at all. mainly v8's etc. bnut if u found sum1 who knows what they are doing then u could get them to hire the dyno and do the tune for u i guess.

Edited by 85URK

the guys at ARB in town have the know how to do wolf, but i know a guy who went there and long story short, $1200 worth of tuning later and it had to be pushed onto a trailer to take it home cause it wouldn't idle, and ran like crap. couldn't be driven onto the trailer it was that bad.

Edited by mad082

I dont recomend george mays. not very happy with his work there at all. At the end of the day, I had to reinstall the injectors that they idnt put in properly and fuel was spraying all over the engine bay, after they worked on it a heater hose was moved and rubbing on the exhaust, so I had to replace that also, the tune was very very bad, didnt go as good as it did when it went in, and he just wasnt interested in helping me get it going right.

I paid nearly a grand for nothing really cause I had to fit the injectors, had to get it tuned elswhere to fix his tuning (they said he only tuned a small rev range and guessed the rest) and had to replace the heater hose and go without the car for weeks!

NOT HAPPY!

just my experience with George Mays.

Rhys

i had a wolf 3D V4 in my R33 gtst once -- tuned by Mercury Motorsports.

I took it off 1 month later and sold it... i will not recommend Wolf 3d on a gtst unless u get to find a very good tuner for it.

most workshop would say " yeah we can tune them " but really, they hate it.. tuning this ECU would take alot more time than tuning an Apexi.

Protorque Performance --

HardCore Racing --

Matty Spry --

Millenium Motorports

APC performance --

These are the workshop i gone thru when i was asking for ECU advices. and all said NO to Wolf 3D.. but they can tune them.

i've seen the tuning programs for wolf v3, v4 and microtech and pics of apexi. couldn't see the one for haltech cause you need a ecu plugged into it before it will open. the most user friendly is the wolf v3. it is all laid out nicely and user friendly. v4 is laid out like powerfc and i can't remember what the microtech is like. i dare say i'll end up street tuning it. my mate who i will get to do it has done a few race cars and he tunes them to drive nice and make power at the same time, not to make power and if it drives nice thats a bonus.

Re the wolf and microtech software. The microtech software is so much easier to use than the wolf. I have only just started tuning the MT but it is already a heap easier.

I use matrix mode for fuel rather than normal as that is what I am used to.

All the screens have it laid out in a graph as well so it is easy as to see if one point is out. Setting the timing is easy as it is a base map to rpm and then adjustment point for vacuum and boost. This means that you don’t actually have to know at what rpm you are making what boost as if you want to advance timing at full boost of say 16psi then you just go to that point and change it from -20 to -18 e.g.

In the wolf software, you would have to give it a run, follow the highlighted box to see what load map you are in (as the load map is just random numbers from 0-107 you can convert it back to psi which I did) and then work out at what rpm it makes the 16psi and then change all the boxes from say 4500rpm to 7500rpm at the 16psi load point. I think you can see how much more time this takes compared to the MT software.

I do admit that the wolf does have better tuning resolution down to 125rpm all the way to redline but I didn’t use this very much. I used the 125rpm for idle and 250rpm close to redline but it wasn’t that necessary.

MT was piece of piss to install and get started compared to the wolf as well. Started first go. With the wolf when it was just doing fuel it would take a few cranks to start and would need a few pumps of the throttle even with tuning of the cranking fuel by George. It didn’t interface well with the Toyota sensors I think.

Overall, I am very happy with my MT ecu so far. Shits all over the wolf in terms of simplicity and functionality.

Power FC is probably easier again as it is plug and play for you guys. Haltech’s are supposed to be pretty good also but you will have the same issues of setting it up whereas a MT comes with the setup configured so it is just wiring and start her up :P

Haha, 415 words there. Bit of an essay :)

man i know nothign about tuning these computer's... looks quite complicated, but i guess if sum1 showed you hwat they do and explained it to you, it would make it alot easier.

MAD082 - see if u can get sum1 to work your business for the day while u do it, or if u are your own boss then, u will just have to cut your losses and take a day off, maybe a saturday since they most likely arent as busy as the other days.

Who owns the white r33 with the gt wing and black bonnet, i think it may hay darkish wheels and nsw number plates? Anyone know who this is?

you not thinking of the 33 with "VIS02" on the plates are ya??

you not thinking of the 33 with "VIS02" on the plates are ya??

Yeah i'm pretty sure thats the one, why wouldn't i be thinking of that one?

Got my t78 today muhahaha!

Pfft 20's, I'd go atleast 25's! :PBJ:

this is what happens when you sleep and drive.

the 'zebra crossing' r33 got written off on sunday morning. he feel asleep on the highway coming back from brissy and took out a commodore. everyone is ok luckily.

post-27937-1149583615.jpg